1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

93 s-10 wont idle on its own.

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2009, 09:33 PM
Beginning Member
1blazer99 is on a distinguished road
Exclamation 93 s-10 wont idle on its own.

I have replaced almost everything I can think of and it was all to just to get rid of the surging now it wont even idle, need help I tried posting here a couple days ago and sadly I posted in the section ,my fault, and got more responses for posting in the wrong place

Old 10-01-2009, 01:05 AM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

Not sure what everything is, however surging is generally a loose or broken vacuum line. I posted something about vacuum lines in the do it your self section. Might be called something to do with 4x4 not working. Do you ahve a 4x4, if so does the front axle engage? Do you ahve problem with your dash vents?

Get back to me becuase there are several reason for a no start condition. I am assuming your getting fuel and spark, it did run, rather poorly but ran right? Did it stumble and die while ideling, however run fine when you gave it gas? Then it could be your fuel pump. Do you have a fuel pressure gauge? I foget the fuel pressure for a 93. Which fuel injection system do you have? If its TBI/TPI around 12-15psi, if its anything else around 60 psi. Once started it takes about 9 psi less pressure to run, provided its the 60 psi setup. If its the 12-15 setup, takes 10-12 psi to run once running.

Simple test to see if its your fuel pump, spray some starting fluid in the intake and try to start it, if she fires chokes sputters and dies more than likely your looking at replacing the fuel pump.

Fuel pump is located in the gas tank. Post up if your going to tackle this yourself. I got some tricks you will need. There are three ways to get at the fuel pump, drop the gas tank, lift the body, or cut a hole in teh floor. None of them are easy and they each have there draw backs.

Old 10-01-2009, 01:07 AM
BlaziNator is on a distinguished road

Have you cleaned/replaced your EGR valve?

Old 10-01-2009, 08:01 AM
Beginning Member
1blazer99 is on a distinguished road
Default engine stalls wont idle on its own and kills when put in gear

I have the tbi and its not a 4x4 and already changed the fuel pump and sending unit and cleaned the egr,new cap,ecm,rotor,plugs wires,iac,coil,pick up coil,tps,map,new gasket under tbi ,cant find no vacum leaks,sprayed carb cleaner,not starting fluid,changed fuel filter,checked tha gas lines,injectors spray a cone shape, dropped the cat conv and not clogged, checked the grounds, I am stumped, just bought a 02- sensor i'll try that next as well,also when I try to start the truck have to lift up on the shifter so it will start so the linkage is goofy as well it will start in reverse but not neutral,but that shouldnt really have much to do with the way it runs ?but as ive mentioned that it does die as soon as i put it in gear?