1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

93 s10 Blazer transfer case issue???

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2012, 09:17 PM
bam_9_9_9 is on a distinguished road

ok you say in 4lo you feel the drag like braking. thats ok because in 4lo it give you the best torque meaning more power to all wheels. in which you cant go over say 15- 20 mph. if you do then it will start to brake when you let off the gas cause of the low gear ratio. and if pushed really far the chain will start slipping and make a grinding noise and you will feel it lock up kinda and the abs pulsating the breaks. only use 4hi. 4 lo is only for climbin steep hills at 20mph or slower.

Old 11-08-2012, 11:04 PM
Beginning Member
Rusty&Trusty is on a distinguished road
Default Forum rules? please

Really??? well that's just stupid what if it's an emergency and you need an answer asap? well I guess I'll stick to the one forum that everyone helps each other as fast as possible and don't give a darn about a measly forum rule about bumping your own thread before 24 hours .
If I can't get good advice here then I have a better forum to spend my time on to get answers. see ya!!! would hate to be ya! especially here lol!

Old 11-08-2012, 11:07 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by bam_9_9_9
ok you say in 4lo you feel the drag like braking. thats ok because in 4lo it give you the best torque meaning more power to all wheels. in which you cant go over say 15- 20 mph. if you do then it will start to brake when you let off the gas cause of the low gear ratio. and if pushed really far the chain will start slipping and make a grinding noise and you will feel it lock up kinda and the abs pulsating the breaks. only use 4hi. 4 lo is only for climbin steep hills at 20mph or slower.
It does the braking feeling in 4hi and 2hi I'm thinking it's something with the transmission cause even with the front drive shaft off it still does it slightly
possibly the torque converter???

Old 11-09-2012, 06:29 AM
AndrewO1991 is on a distinguished road

I need you to describe the brakeing feeling more. It could be too many things, i find it hard to think its your transfer case. Torque converter shouldnt do that. Tell me when this happens, what does the engine do when this happens. I think it may be the engine causing this. How long have you driven the truck in 4x4 on dry pavement? You may have damaged it. As a transfer case goes these are reliable, its the systems that engage the front axle or the electric shift motor that fail. But since yours engages already that is a good sign.

Old 11-09-2012, 10:17 AM
Diaita will become famous soon enoughDiaita will become famous soon enough

when the rear differential was failing in mine, it had all the symptoms you are describing. especially the slight braking feeling.

Old 11-09-2012, 08:29 PM
bam_9_9_9 is on a distinguished road

ok so it feels like it breaks all the time in all gears. ok. now there is a rubber hose that goes from the metal brake line to the caliper on the wheel. a long time goes by and thos rubber lines start to fall apart on the inside out. and what happens is that all the rubber thats fallen apart inside that rubber hose is that it blocks the brake fluid from comming back up when you let off the brakes. feeling like its braking all the time. is your front pads worn? have you replaced them recently? go take it for a spin and a good spin like maby 15 to 20min drive. i know a waist of gas right. but when you pull into your drive way squirt water on the rotors where the brakes grab at. if it is so hot that it evaporates the water as soon as it hits then the hoses are probally shot. and need to be replaced. could also be a trans problem but i doubt it. check the fluid is it dark brown or as red as can be. on a piece of paper towel. also check fluid when warmed up and running. should be in between hash marks. i always fill mine a little above the full line.

Last edited by bam_9_9_9; 11-09-2012 at 08:32 PM.
Old 11-10-2012, 03:20 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by Diaita
when the rear differential was failing in mine, it had all the symptoms you are describing. especially the slight braking feeling.
There is a lot of play in the rear diff

Old 11-10-2012, 03:24 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by bam_9_9_9
ok so it feels like it breaks all the time in all gears. ok. now there is a rubber hose that goes from the metal brake line to the caliper on the wheel. a long time goes by and thos rubber lines start to fall apart on the inside out. and what happens is that all the rubber thats fallen apart inside that rubber hose is that it blocks the brake fluid from comming back up when you let off the brakes. feeling like its braking all the time. is your front pads worn? have you replaced them recently? go take it for a spin and a good spin like maby 15 to 20min drive. i know a waist of gas right. but when you pull into your drive way squirt water on the rotors where the brakes grab at. if it is so hot that it evaporates the water as soon as it hits then the hoses are probally shot. and need to be replaced. could also be a trans problem but i doubt it. check the fluid is it dark brown or as red as can be. on a piece of paper towel. also check fluid when warmed up and running. should be in between hash marks. i always fill mine a little above the full line.
The brakes never get hot they are all brand new. the transmision fluid is redish pink and I also have it filled a little above the full line

Old 11-10-2012, 12:14 PM
Diaita will become famous soon enoughDiaita will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Rusty&Trusty
There is a lot of play in the rear diff
When I pulled the cover off mine I was shocked that every pinion gear tooth had a crack at its root and 2 were nearly completely gone. It still drove, just the odd squeak and clunk and the braking feel you described.

Old 11-11-2012, 04:41 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by Diaita
When I pulled the cover off mine I was shocked that every pinion gear tooth had a crack at its root and 2 were nearly completely gone. It still drove, just the odd squeak and clunk and the braking feel you described.
when I jack the rear end up off the ground I can grab the passenger side tire and spin it back and fourth a good 5 or more inches before the gears grab and start spinning the other tire the opposite way Im thinking that much play is not good?

Quick Reply: 93 s10 Blazer transfer case issue???