1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

93 vortec runs bad until the thermostat opens..need help!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 03:33 PM
Beginning Member
billycams89 is on a distinguished road

I just pulled vac lines off the intake and plugged them, with no change at all. And there isnt a vac line on the egr..i did unplug the egr though and also made little to no difference. The temp sensor thats under the intake is brand new..could it be the one on the side of the block??

Old 01-15-2012, 04:02 PM
blazer_grl is on a distinguished road

It could be. But honestly I don't remember which sensor is which. >_>

One is a temp sender for the instrument cluster and one is the actual sensor. I had those two mixed up a couple years ago when I had to service my cooling system.

Old 01-15-2012, 04:39 PM
Beginning Member

Took off and plugged vac lines on the intake and it made no difference at all. There isnt a vac line on the egr though..i did unplug it but it didnt seem to do much. Also the temp sensor under the inake is brand new. Could it be the one on the side of the block? I just unhooked the battery to maybe reset somthing and i havent since the new temp sensor so im crossing my fingers!

ooops! lol i thought the first one didnt load. sorry guys! Ill hafta figure out which is which, but thanks for the help!

The battery reset didnt do anything either. I need a code reader i think..its got me stumped

Last edited by swartlkk; 01-16-2012 at 07:48 PM. Reason: *Combining Consecutive Posts* - Please use the edit function to add additional information in your post if another member has yet to respond.
Old 01-16-2012, 10:27 AM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by billycams89
The battery reset didnt do anything either. I need a code reader i think..its got me stumped
No, you dont need a code reader

How to look up Service Engine Soon codes without scan tool - S-10 Forum

Old 01-16-2012, 11:25 AM
Beginning Member

Did the code test with key just turned to on and it has no stored codes. just code 12. Also checked it while running and got nothing..it initially flashes 3 times and then the check engine light is just on, no flashing. when i pulled the paper clip out the check engine light went of and stayed off...WTF. Thanks though pettyfog

Old 01-16-2012, 04:15 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by billycams89
Took off and plugged vac lines on the intake and it made no difference at all. There isnt a vac line on the egr though..i did unplug it but it didnt seem to do much. Also the temp sensor under the inake is brand new. Could it be the one on the side of the block? I just unhooked the battery to maybe reset somthing and i havent since the new temp sensor so im crossing my fingers!
Name:  vpgS8.jpg
Views: 14
Size:  17.9 KB

The vacuum to the EGR is gated by the EGR solenoid which can be found by following that small line back

Also - unlike later models- you have two temp sensors.. one for gauge, one for PCM. Warm up till gauge registers, unplug the one on top and check gauge again.

Last edited by pettyfog; 01-16-2012 at 04:19 PM.
Old 01-16-2012, 05:39 PM
Beginning Member

I have an electronic egr..im gana try the temp sensor check tho and see what happens.

Its a vortec engine, not the throttle body style intake.

Last edited by swartlkk; 01-16-2012 at 07:49 PM. Reason: *Combining Consecutive Posts* - Please use the edit function to add additional information in your post if another member has yet to respond.
Old 01-17-2012, 07:12 AM
BF Veteran

It's the exhaust gas end that counts

Name:  I16GV.jpg
Views: 15
Size:  16.9 KB

Here's how:
https://blazerforum.com/forum/articl...leaning-40424/

Last edited by pettyfog; 01-17-2012 at 11:42 AM.
Old 01-18-2012, 08:13 PM
Beginning Member

Ok...now it willl not get fully warm, or doest seem to at least. The gauge now goes to about 180 which is where it should be and stays there..drove it today for about 20 min while fully warm and it didnt change at all, ran like crap the whole time. Its never done this before, always got better after getting fully warm. To keep it at speed (20-70) i have to tap the pedal, its fine after just toutching the pedal but maybe 1 second later it misses and sputters so im constantly tapping the gas. But if i put it to the floor it goes just any blazer would. Also, a few times while excellerating the spedo would climb really rapidly..like from 30 to 40 the speedo would go to 70 or 80 but when i let off it goes to normal speed. Not sure if this is a seperate problem or not but strange. Im so lost. Still need to pull the egr off to see if maybe something got stuck in it, but it was replaced maybe 60 miles ago..

Old 01-19-2012, 02:04 PM
mr.vls will become famous soon enough

The temp sensor on the side of the engine block is only for the Gauge/Lite on the dash. There should be a vacumn line to the EGR valve from the EGR solonoid.

Quick Reply: 93 vortec runs bad until the thermostat opens..need help!!