1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

94 chevy 4x4 vortec 4.3 w

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 09:51 AM
Beginning Member
green75 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default 94 chevy 4x4 vortec 4.3 w

i have no power when going up a hill.replacedfuel pump and sending unit fuel filter.i dont know what the problem could be.vacum maybe?when i give it gas you can hear it sucking air. and another problem im having is
wheni go to start it it wont start in the winter time unless i spray starting fluid then starts. when i shut it off it wont start no matter how long its been running.unless i use starting fluid.

im lost andy help would be thankful

Old 02-08-2010, 10:50 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Check your fuel pressure. Your truck needs around 60psi to start and it should stay above 50psi when going down the road to properly actuate the poppet nozzles in the injection system. While you have the fuel pressure gauge installed, wait for the pump to shut off and watch the pressure. If it drops, you have a leak in the system somewhere.

If you haven't already, replace the fuel filter.

Old 02-11-2010, 10:20 AM
Beginning Member

i changed fuel filter still nothing
in park runs smooth put it in reverse the other day went to feet and died.had to uuse starting fluid to get it started.could that module on the distributor be bad?

i turn the key with fptester got 40 dropped change dfilter checked it while running i have 55 psi

Old 02-11-2010, 12:51 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You need ~60psi inorder for the engine to properly start. If you do not have that while cranking over the engine, you have a fuel supply problem.

Does the pressure hold steady after the pump shuts off?

Old 02-12-2010, 07:13 AM
Beginning Member

everything is fine with the fuel supply
i had a few people say something about a sensor on the torque converter?

i also have a squeak at my disturborator it only happens every once in awhile

Last edited by swartlkk; 02-12-2010 at 04:50 PM. Reason: *Combining Consecutive Posts* - Please use the EDIT function to add additional information to your post if another member has yet to reply.
Old 02-13-2010, 05:57 PM
Leeann_Bravada is an unknown quantity at this point

Define "fine" - what PSI do you get KOEO? What PSI are you holding 10 minutes later?

Old 02-15-2010, 12:45 PM
Beginning Member

im changing the pump and tank tonight
still holding 55 psi while running.40 when i turn key on for a second then drops

Old 02-15-2010, 12:47 PM
Administrator

If your pressure drops, you have a leak. Most common leak point for the CPI engine is the FPR (fuel pressure regulator). 2nd most common leak point is the 'nut kit' (internal fuel lines to the CPI spider). Check out the Tech Article (DIY) section for information on the FPR and how to change it.