1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Air intake and Starter issues...

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2011, 10:39 PM
Beginning Member
Spin87 is on a distinguished road
Default Air intake and Starter issues...

Ok so this weekend I decided to take the old beast out after doing quite a large amount of work. Went up to a favorite orv park as I figured I may have a few tweaks to be done. Ended up stalling out in knee deep water because I ended up sucking water in through my air intake...as well the starter started to sound really weird afterwards...Luckily a guy came up on a bike asked if we needed help came got us out.

So over all I am looking at doing some new air intake though I am planning on adding a snorkel as this is frequently the case when I go out.

So I been peaking around looking at spectre systems...

Questions are

Are these easily modifiable to run snorkels off as Im custom building my own snorkel...

As for waterproofing them what is the best route? I have thought about siliconing around all openings as the filter will be on top of my snorkel....in its own box.

As for the starter questions:

Once we got it pulled out it acted as if it could not catch and turn over...made some rather funky zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz noises but finally did turn over and has been fine since? Is that due to the water we took in?
I have decided to waterproof the connectors but not to sure what else that could be except the water it took on...Anyone have any other ideas on how to waterproof the dang thing so I dont face these problems yet again...

Thanks