Engine & Transmission Post your Engine and Transmission related problems here.

Weird starter issues, whining and back fire like sound

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2007, 07:24 PM
schnitzer00 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Weird starter issues, whining and back fire like sound

New owner of a 97 Blazer with 130K on the mileage, got from a family member w/c he bought new. Bear with me on describing the issue, the whole starter was replaced 5 months ago now I have this weird starter issues, the truck starts basically ok but when the engine starts running you could hear this like backfiring sound on the starter area, checked on the engine itself the engine purring like a cat no misfiring or rough idle, when you turn off the ignition you could hear this loud whining or dynamosound on the starter itself w/c itstogauge it1 to 10 it's 7. It doesn't stop until you remove the battery connection and smells like burned thing after, when you start it again it starts normally but then again the whining sound and misfiring like sound.Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Old 04-13-2007, 12:49 AM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Weird starter issues, whining and back fire like sound

Disconnect your battery cables and take the starter out. Tip it back and forth and see if the gear in the nose cone slides back and forth freely. If so, replace it.

Look at your flexplate, are the sides worn?
Look at the teeth on the starter gear, are they worn on the ends?
If the answer is yes to those questions, for some reason your starter is not disengageing from teh flexplate and causing your whinning noise.

There are other areas that make a whine noise. If its while turning, power steering pump. If while ideling, and right next to your seat in the middle, torque converter. Thos will only happen while the engine is running.

It almost sounds like your starter is not shutting off.

Old 04-13-2007, 03:48 PM

I actually looked into other peripheral engine parts and double checked with a improvised stetoscope to listen carefully were the noise is at and it is defintely the starter. I'll look into it tonight and follow your advice give a feedback after then. Thanks for the advice!

Old 04-13-2007, 03:56 PM
lastcoupe is an unknown quantity at this point

It sounds to me like your starter's not turning off..if you have to disconnect the battery to stop the noise Check the crank circuit (smaller wire attatched to the solenoid....purple in color) for a short-to-voltage....I'd check right at the solenoid, in most cases and especially since it recently had a new starter, the battery cable is not positioned in the locator on the solenoid and it is touching the purple wire terminal and cranking the engine all the time......keep us posted on what you find.

Old 04-17-2007, 04:54 AM

Lastcoupe basically followed your advice and it is the solenoid, to double check other mechanical parts brought to autozone and had the starter check..the verdict..a dead starter. So had to change the whole thing and now working perfectly, thanks again appreciate the input!