1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Best and Worst Fuel Pumps?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 11:02 AM
Beginning Member
93 & 94 is on a distinguished road
Question Need some help...

Ok Blazer gurus... I'm calling on y'all for any help I can get with this thing. I replaced the fuel pump with a new Delphi pump, new hanger, sender, etc. Everything is new at the tank.
The person who originally owned this truck apparently had already replaced it because there was no O ring seal under the hanger flange. They also broke the main fuel line and replaced it with a rubber 'transmission oil cooler' hose from the pump's 'fuel out' line, bypassed the filter, and connected it to the metal line, forward of where the filter used to be. The truck was driven like this by my girlfriend who owns it, for a couple of years at least. It ran fine before it was parked last year. I didn't know there was no filter until I went to see if it might need replacing, and looked for it.

Ok...on to my questions.
The guy at the auto parts store sold me these threaded ends to screw into the fuel filter he sold me for the truck....so that I could connect it inline with the (1/4") rubber hose. They don't work because they don't seat properly inside where they need to, and the part with the wrench flats bottoms out against the inlet / outlet flats. Leaks like a friggin sieve.

So I took it back out and getting ready to head back up there to try and find something different that won't leak. Needs to be able to hold at least 60 pounds of fuel pressure. Any ideas? Do they even have anything like I need to do this? I really hope my only option isn't to replace the whole fuel line with the correct OEM one, like I know is the professional way to do this. I just want to get the thing running for now. I guess this is why the last person chose to just bypass the filter all together. I would rather not do that.

Ok one more question while I have your attention....please.
Before I found out it was leaking under the pressure, I did try to crank the engine for a few minutes. I can hear the pump running like it's supposed to, and it's obviously pumping fuel. It's not even trying to start though. Even after giving it a few blasts of starter fluid into the intake, it would only burn that off and cut cut off again....same as before getting the pump working.
I even tried bleeding off any trapped air in the line at the bleeder valve behind the manifold. Any ideas as to what is still wrong? Is it maybe just not getting quite enough fuel pressure at the injectors, because of the leak in the line? Or should it have still cranked at least?
I'm hoping the problem isn't clogged injectors from it having been run without a filter.

Thanks in advance for any help I can get bringing this thing back from the dead. Surely someone here has had a similar problem before with one of these.

Last edited by 93 & 94; 04-30-2011 at 11:05 AM.
Old 05-01-2011, 02:23 AM
Toby Hanson will become famous soon enough

I don't have any advice for you. This has been a fascinating thread, though, and I really appreciate the pictures. I'm learning more and more about these amazing vehicles that we own.

Old 05-01-2011, 08:50 AM
Leeann_Bravada is an unknown quantity at this point

When you replaced the pump and put the tank back up, did you clean the spot on the frame where the pump ground wire bolts in?

Old 05-01-2011, 10:34 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by Leeann_Bravada
When you replaced the pump and put the tank back up, did you clean the spot on the frame where the pump ground wire bolts in?
Yes, it's cleaned down to the frame. I can hear the pump running and it's pumping fuel up the line because I can see it in the new fuel filter I put in this morning. Went ahead and used a regular clear plastic filter. Now the system is finally sealed with no leaks, the pump is pumping, and I'm still getting no fuel to the engine. It fires right up with a short burst of ether to the intake...then dies.

Last edited by 93 & 94; 05-02-2011 at 08:40 AM.
Old 05-01-2011, 11:56 PM

Have you checked the fuel pressure at the manifold? If you can see there's fuel in the filter then the next place to check for fuel is at the manifold. If you haven't found it yet there's a Schrader valve on the fuel line on the left side of the engine on the back of the manifold. Put a fuel pressure gauge on there and check that you're getting 55-60psi. If not then there very well may be a blockage in the line somewhere. If you do have proper pressure at the manifold then you should check for malfunctions with the injectors.

Old 05-02-2011, 08:49 AM
Beginning Member

Thanks, I'm trying to get a fuel pressure gauge locally, hopefuly as a loaner. I did pull the line off at the manifold while the filter was off and blew compressed air through it though, so I know it's also clear. Is there any kind of filter or screen where the fuel line enters the manifold, before it gets to the injectors?
Ughh... It looks more and more like I'll be taking the top off of this baby soon. Was really hoping that wouldn't be the case. Can the injectors just be soaked and cleaned out (compressed air....small wire.....?) if they are clogged with trash or old gas that has turned to varnish?
Also is there any chance it's just an air lock that can be bled off at the Schrader valve?

Old 05-02-2011, 06:08 PM
Leeann_Bravada is an unknown quantity at this point

The poppets can be cleaned, sometimes. There's a procedure to do it on the truck, no removal of upper manifold necessary (it's in the FSM and in a TSB).

No screen where the fuel line enters the manifold.

I've never heard of air lock being an issue with anyone else.

Old 05-03-2011, 02:14 AM

Don't be afraid of removing the top of a Vortec intake. It's not difficult at all. Getting inside can give you a lot of important information.

Old 05-03-2011, 09:41 AM
Beginning Member

Thanks for the help you guys.

Old 07-03-2011, 01:07 PM
Starting Member
maddie's dad is on a distinguished road

I second everybodys opinion on buying a Delphi or ACDelco pump. I just recently put an airtex in our Jimmy. It was under pressure right out of the package. I took it back to O'reily, returned it and paid the difference for a Delphi. If changing fuel pumps were as easy as changing fuses, I still don't think I would buy an off brand.

Quick Reply: Best and Worst Fuel Pumps?