1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Big pothole = bad news

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2006, 03:22 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Big pothole = bad news

ORIGINAL: m00nwater

That locator you linked only shows the States I don't think I'll drive to NY just to get an alignment
Awe... Come on, you could come visit me!

Old 01-09-2006, 07:31 PM
Administrator
m00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond repute

Awe... Come on, you could come visit me!
Well, if it's as bad as it seems to be, a road trip might be the death of me! []

Ya, I'm pretty certain it has something to do with how that bolt is placed. They said it was a bit loose at the shop as well.
I'll hopefully have answers by Wednesday.

Old 01-09-2006, 07:33 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds good, just be careful!

Old 01-09-2006, 07:35 PM
Administrator
m00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond reputem00nwater has a reputation beyond repute

I know...it's sitting in the driveway as much as possible...I think I need to buy another Blazer just to have one for when the other breaks. Hmm...I DID see a '92 for sale down the road

Old 01-09-2006, 07:48 PM
Administrator

ORIGINAL: m00nwater

I know...it's sitting in the driveway as much as possible...I think I need to buy another Blazer just to have one for when the other breaks. Hmm...I DID see a '92 for sale down the road
And that right there is where the addiction starts!!! Soon m00n will have a blazer for every season plus ones for backup incase her winter blazer goes down!

LMAO!

Old 01-10-2006, 01:09 AM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

Are you talking about the cam bolts being loose m00nwater, or the upper control arm bushings? Where are those bolts located?

check that link again. Should say something about if your looking for a place in Canada click here.
Canada: If you are looking for a GSP9700 in Canada, click here.

The alignment shop will be able to tell you what is broken. They told me when my upper control arm was broken. The upper mounting bolt holes had wobbeld out and every time I hit a bump it would make a noise.

Old 01-11-2006, 02:34 PM
Administrator

It was the cam bolts.

Turns out, it was a simple little thing that caused such a huge problem. The bolt was loose on the right side, which actually STOPPED any major damage from happening when I hit the pothole. Because it was loose already at the time, they are assuming, nothing was bent when I hit the hole. It only further loosened the bolt from the impact, which caused the huge steering problem. Ironic how I got lucky from someone's sloppy work.[&:]

All they had to do was tighten up that bolt and now it is as it was before.

They only issue is that there is a little bit of play in my steering column. I've had my gear box adjusted just a few months ago as well, and I have VERY tight steering, which isn't necessarily good. It may be over-adjusted, but because of the play in the column, I don't think it would be a good idea to loosen it off. Ideas?

Old 01-11-2006, 02:39 PM
Administrator

Wow, glad it was a quick fix. Thought for sure that it was going to end up being something larger.

So you have tight steering, but you have play in the column? Typically, the column is not the place where play would be found, rather in the pitman arm. If you lay under the truck with the front splash guard off, and have someone wiggle the wheel back and forth, look at both the joint on the end of the pitman arm where it connects to the steering linkage, as well as where the pitman arm splines onto the steering gearbox.

Also, I wasn't aware of an adjustment in the steering to firm it up... Please explain further cause I would like to firm up the steering on my Bravada.

Old 01-11-2006, 04:18 PM
Administrator

Oh. The garage made an adjustment on my gear box. I'll ask what exactly they did. It may be that the adjustment simply allowed for the tightness to be felt because of other factors that were already in play. I'll inquire further, but I'm going to guess that there isn't a way to do it, like you said.

I'll get back to you when I talk to the garage.

Old 01-11-2006, 06:06 PM
93LT is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah, you can take slop out of steering if the gear box is loose on GM vehicles. If you look at the top of the gear box, you'll notice a sloted (sometimes hex) stud with a nut on it. You can loosen the nut and tighten or loosen the gear box then snug the nut back up. It's very common to do, we do it all the time on our alignment rack. These gear boxes can get loose enough to that a person might think a tie rod or other part is getting worn.

Quick Reply: Big pothole = bad news