1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Blowing radio fuse after startup

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 07:15 PM
Beginning Member
colby is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Blowing radio fuse after startup

Hello. I just purchased a 94 s10 Blazer 4x4 and it is wearing me thin. Anyway my latest problem is went to install a new stereo and i have no power. Change fuse and all is well until I start the truck then boom, no more fuse. This fuse also runs my pushbutton 4x4 rear defrost and rear wiper. really ticking me off. Wondering what else is on this circuit that only comes on after starter is engaged.

Old 02-26-2009, 08:38 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Blowing radio fuse after startup

Unplug all of the items on the circuit then plug them back in one at a time.

Since you just installed a new stereo, I would be going over that wiring with a fine toothed comb.

*Moved to 1st Gen Tech*

Old 02-26-2009, 08:46 PM
Beginning Member

I havnt put the stereo in yet. Checked wiering b4 I started as I didnt want to wipe out my new Kenwood deck. Was wondering what else is connected th this fuse. So far I have checked 4x4, rear wiper, and rear defrost. Wasnt sure how many other accessories ran off of this radio fuse. Also dome light only works when manually turned on. Not sure if the two are connected. Sorry about the double post.

*Combining Consecutive Posts*

Also only happens after starter is engaged. Fuse doesnt blow in the ACC position. only in run.

*EDIT by swartlkk* - Please use the EDIT feature to include additional information in your post. Consecutive posting is considered to be another form of double posting. You can thank some unsavory people from the past for this little rule. But rules are rules. Thanks!

Old 02-26-2009, 08:48 PM
Beginning Member

Also only happens after starter is engaged. Fuse doesnt blow in the ACC position. only in run.

Old 02-26-2009, 08:52 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Definitely sounds like you have some crossed wires under the dash. There should be nothing in this circuit that is tied in with the start circuit.

Old 02-27-2009, 11:02 AM
Beginning Member

Ugh. This is ticking me off. Have most of my dash apart and cannot see anything out of the ordinary. Found one ground wire coming from under the stearing column that was cut clean like with dykes. not sure if it was even a factory ground. cant see that it goes to anything. Also looks like someone tried to install a remote start but all of the wires that were spliced are not grounding out. was wondering if its a loss of ground on that one circuit. With the truck on it reads 12.5 volts across the circuit. If i ground and touch one terminal i get 14volts. Ground and the other terminal i get nothing. But both together is 12.5 and it should read 0 I think.

Old 03-01-2009, 12:15 PM
blznlowxtreme is an unknown quantity at this point

also make sure you dont have any bare wires touching metel on the blazer. or two bare wires touching