1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Brakelight switch.

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2011, 09:42 AM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

marisol.. this is first gen subforum.
but the fuse for the brake light sw on my 99 is underhood 20A. may be labelled weird. like msl or something

Old 10-05-2011, 03:38 PM
Starting Member
DaddysBlazer is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok the third brake light fuse is labeled under the hood fuse box as TRCHMSL. And the other fuse for your brake lights are also under the hood and it is labeled VECHMSL. Now both of these fuses are side by side and over by the spare fuses hope this helps I was thinking about one of my own problems trying to help you last night.LOL

Old 10-09-2011, 10:47 PM
Starting Member
bowtie-72 is on a distinguished road
Default No brake lights.

Originally Posted by marisol
Hi Barnyard or anyone out there

I have a 2001 Chevy S10 Blazer 4wd in pretty good shape at 120K. My brake lights are out--changed bulbs--still no lights --went to check fuses--the manual and the key legend on the fuse box panel have no brake light fuse listed--nothing! So does anyone know which fuse actually is the brake light fuse? I have the drivers side fuse panel and the under hood fuse box--no mention of brake lights on either--all the other lights but no brake lights. I have checked the fuses with battery tester and all are good--but i may have missed one. I am desperate--I've already been pulled over and given an inspection ticket.

I also have a new switch ready to replace old but cannot figure out that clip holding the old one on.
Thanks,
marisol
Hey Marisol, I had the same problem on my `94 s-Blazer. I replaced the switch, but it was not the problem. I noticed that when my tilt wheel was in the all the way up position the lights worked fine, but when I brought the wheel down to any other position they would not work. Then I read here on the Forum that the multi-function switch has something to do with the lower brake lights. ( I know it sounds crazy. ) So I figured that I had to have a wire short somewhere in the column. So I pulled the wheel, pulled the switch loose, but did not unplug anything. Then I tried to look at and feel the wires. Everything looked/felt ok, so I wrapped the wire harness with electrical tape the best I could and put it all back together again and it worked perfectly! Still today it works fine in any wheel position. I don`t know where the short was, but it had to be somewhere just below the turn signal, ( multi-function ) switch. I hope this helps, it worked for me. Good luck.