1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Broken Sway Bar Mount

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 12:35 AM
Beginning Member
azaviator is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Broken Sway Bar Mount

I went out for a little 4x4 action today (sorry, no pics), but apparently the Blazer wanted more than the sway bar mount was willing to give. Drivers side mount apparently tossed a bolt and bent the mount down and out of the way of the bar. The bushing is lost somewhere in the desert. Now I have to figure out if it would be better to get a new mount, find one in a junkyard or bend the existing one back into shape. Any thoughts? Also, I'm pretty sure the threads on the control arm are stripped. I have heard about a helicoil(?) but don't know much about them. Is this a way to fix it, or am I looking at a new lower control arm? Or, would it be possible to rethread the control arm slightly larger? All help is appreciated!

On a side note, does anyone know if it is possible to make a disconnect for the sway bar on a 1st gen for offroading purposes? I use this vehicle as a daily driver, but also like to beat it up a bit on the weekends. I'm not willing to go without the sway bar on the freeway, but I'd like to have more articulation when I take it offroad (and, avoid tossing the mount/bushing again).

Old 04-13-2010, 06:16 AM
Beginning Member
azaviator is on a distinguished road

I looked at it in the daylight and there doesn't appear to be any damage to the lower control arm (other than the stripped threads), so I may be able to salvage it with a helicoil. The mount is bent pretty bad though, so may have to replace that.

Still wondering about the disconnect idea...