1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Can I switch from 4wd to AWD ???

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 01:24 PM
Starting Member
89Recon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Can I switch from 4wd to AWD ???

Not sure if this is the appropriate section for this question but it will get moved if it isn't ..... anyways I am wondering how hard would it be to convert my 4wd 89 S10 Blazer to AWD I searched around and people were saying that some parts from an AWD Astro would work is this true and if so how much time and money am I looking at spending. Only reason I want to know is because I want to make a Typhoon clone it is going to take a while I know but it will be worth it in the long run.

Old 12-22-2011, 02:12 PM
TheRandom1 has a spectacular aura aboutTheRandom1 has a spectacular aura about

I believe you can use the AWD transfer case from an Astro, OR you could get all of the parts you need from a first gen Olds Bravada since those were AWD from the factory.

The parts I recall hearing you'd need from when I considered this are:
transfer case
prop shaft
front diff (not sure about that, but I think you do because it's always locked?)
CV shafts
and obviously some way to cover the hole in your floor when you remove the 4X4 shifter.

Not at all an exact list, but those are the parts I can recall. Depending on how many of those parts you can source from a junkyard and/or finding a Bravada with those parts you can pilfer... I'd guess you could do it between 500-1000 bucks or so.

Keep in mind though, those are stock parts, so you'd want to make sure you rebuild them to handle the HP and Torque load you're looking at too, which will raise your price up.

Old 12-22-2011, 02:13 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, it's true. You would need the transfer case, driveshafts, & adapter at the least. To do it right, you would also need the front axle (or at least the passenger side drive shaft & extension housing). The front axle in any of the AWD trucks lacks the disconnect found in the selectable 4wd trucks.

Ha. Sniped!

Old 12-22-2011, 03:36 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

what would be the advantage/ disadvantage of this?

Old 12-22-2011, 04:09 PM

Disadvantage: no more smokey rear-only burnouts, probably worse gas mileage.

Advantage: better traction all the time

Old 12-22-2011, 07:15 PM
Starting Member

only reason I am looking into this is because I want to attempt to make a Typhoon clone I know it will be hard and take me a LONG LONG time but hell I am up for a challenge lol

Old 12-22-2011, 07:30 PM
Irocz327 will become famous soon enough

I looked to doing the same thing w/ my bravada (w/ comp controlled awd) which is all the same as a typhoon.. & heres the big part.. Keep in mind that I've only read about it.. but "supposably" the obvious differance are the transfer ("The Borg Warner units used in the pre-98 AWD applications (Bravada, select Blazers, Typhoon, Syclone, & the vans) was a dedicated torque split. The newer ones are adaptive. I can't remember if they used the same marketing name for the earlier Bravadas... " -SWARTLLK) & front end drivetrain, but I've read the motors have a diff cam & I believe something was different w/ the heads or pistons.. or both. I'll hunt around & see if I can't find the article that I read on them.

Old 12-22-2011, 07:32 PM

Smarttrack was the designation for AWD on the first gen Bravadas.

Old 12-22-2011, 07:34 PM
Starting Member

I may be in over my head lol

Old 12-22-2011, 07:35 PM

One good way to learn...

Well, two I suppose. One is to take classes and pay a buttload of cash. The other is to do your research, buy parts, and do it yourself.

Quick Reply: Can I switch from 4wd to AWD ???