1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

can you clean popppet valves individually?

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2011, 10:51 AM
Starting Member
maddie's dad is on a distinguished road

Is it possible to clean the individual poppets of the spider injector? Can you buy individual poppets or a set of six? Or do I have to replace the entire spider assembly? I saw a website where you could buy individual poppet retainer clips, I just cannot remember the site. Anyone?
-------------------------------------------------------------- EDIT --------------------------------------------------------------------
Here's what I'm brainstorming. Well, brain-sprinkling anyway. After I pull the retainer clips off of the poppets (ever so carefully). I would use a heat gun to soften the fuel lines enough to remove the poppets. Then, I would take all six of the poppets and put them in my wife's ultrasonic jewelry cleaner. Yeah,yeah I know I gotta buy my wife a new one. Anyway, I wonder what I should use as a cleaner solution. The Jewelry cleaner, acetone, sea foam, goat urine, troll spit? Anybody got any suggestions? Also, does anyone know of a way to bench test a poppet?

Last edited by rriddle3; 07-03-2011 at 05:48 PM. Reason: COMBINING CONSECUTIVE POSTS
Old 07-03-2011, 04:47 PM
Starting Member
Magmotor is on a distinguished road

Yes but the poppet valve needs to have pressure put on it when cleaning...here's how GM does it.....http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/he..._Clean_CPI.pdf

In all my searches for a spider I've never ran across individual poppet valves for sale....maybe someone else has..

Old 07-03-2011, 07:17 PM
Starting Member

First of all, thanks, riddle3 for merging my threads. Thanks, Magmotor for clearing up how the poppets are cleaned by the GM folks. I have done a little research and all the aftermaket/ rebuild sites all have pressure testers that they can bench test and clean all the poppets and injectors that they work on. none of the sites I have found sell individual or sets of poppets and lines. Maybe I will just go ahead and order a spider assembly from RockAuto. They seem to have the best prices.

Old 07-14-2011, 03:20 PM
apriliaRM is on a distinguished road

I took each injector tube out and squirted carb cleaner in each one and blew them out with compressed air and you can watch the junk spray out of the poppet.
My blazer which is a 94` by the way...also a newbie to the forum, it ran like it was missing at an idle so I blew out the poppet lines and put new oring on each line and I must say it did run alittle bit better.
i hope this helps out.

Old 07-30-2011, 10:10 AM
Starting Member
TonyJ is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by apriliaRM
... I blew out the poppet lines and put new oring on each line and I must say it did run alittle bit better.
i hope this helps out.
Where did you place the oring? Did you use the same size that comes on the inlet/returns? Are your installed poppet lines loosey goosey? I'm not sure I've got mine installed deep enough, but they don't seem tight (the line).

Thanks,
Tony

Old 07-30-2011, 02:00 PM
NVANZEE will become famous soon enough

What ever you use to clean them make sure you clean them off good afterwards and dont use purpler cleaner. A guy i worked with resealed the intake on his 1500 and spryed some purple cleaner on the poppets and didnt clean them off good afterwards. He put it all back together and it would run. found out the cleaner hardened and clogged the poppets.

Old 07-30-2011, 09:37 PM
Starting Member

Thanks for the tip ApriliaRM, the next time I have the plenum apart I will do the compressed air trick. I ran a bottle of Techron fuel injector cleaner in a tank of gas and Jimmy seems to be happy.