1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

changed plugs and found a loose wire (have pic)

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2010, 11:50 PM
Beginning Member
eisterd is on a distinguished road

I'm not positive, but I think it may be the same in a couple other gm cars. My neighbor has a 91' riveria and her digital dash looks the same as mine. I've seen more of them in cars at the junk yard than blazers. Usually when I see a blazer at the junk yard that's one of the first thing gone off it.

Old 05-24-2010, 10:45 PM
dlippiet is on a distinguished road

I asked around to a few companies that make and rebuild gauge panels and either they tell me its going to be a royal pain in the a.. or cost me over $500 soooo now ive switched my focus to finding a site that has custom analog gauge panels for the blazer, so far haven't found much

Old 05-24-2010, 11:37 PM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough

Im going to be takin my dash out and fixing the loose connections inside of it this month, all my guages work if i bang on the top of it, then go out... Ill take photos of my progress when i do it.

Old 05-24-2010, 11:52 PM

all my gauges work, minus the temp gauge i checked all the connections and they seem fine but the temp gauge still fluctuates like a hot tub on a cruise ship at high tide, or it doesn't register at all, some times it'll register at 200 degrees, then immediately drop to 0...so idk I want to clean up/ upgrade/ replace most of the parts on it any way so changing the gauge panel really wouldn't make a dent in the budget lol

Last edited by dlippiet; 05-24-2010 at 11:55 PM.
Old 05-24-2010, 11:55 PM
Gimpy Blazer is on a distinguished road

Digital Dash Solutions is my choice. he hooked me up, but make sure it's not the sender. The hotter they get the resistance goes down. Sounds more like a sender problem than a cluster because the cluster is just a slave to the sender (driver). I'd bet on the sender before the cluster. If you want his website, here it is. Read his stuff and call him first. During the week. His name is Carl and he's pretty cool. He'll ship one to you first (and charge you a core) but at least you can see if it works out for you. He told me to install it and if it worked for a couple of weeks to ship my old one back. He fixes all the cold solder joints and upfates the power supply as well as replaces all the bulbs. It's truly plug and play.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1989-...mZ350102002017

Ohsofly you've been going to call rhis guy for a couple of months. Could be your power supply. Breakdown man. It ain't worth the hassle.

Last edited by Gimpy Blazer; 05-25-2010 at 12:00 AM.
Old 05-25-2010, 12:03 AM

Definately the temp gauge. Mine's on the passenger side (1994) too. Yeah, it can be a hot one.

Old 05-25-2010, 12:11 AM

i checked with DDS and it says right on the page
If your truck is equipped with analog gauges (needle type) you can not convert to digital.
i sent him an email the same day 94blazer had given me the link, no response as of today

Last edited by dlippiet; 05-25-2010 at 12:21 AM.
Old 05-25-2010, 05:17 PM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Gimpy Blazer
Ohsofly you've been going to call rhis guy for a couple of months. Could be your power supply. Breakdown man. It ain't worth the hassle.
Yeah yeah I know, just had so much B--LSH-T going on in my life to be messing with my truck. I just packed up and left the ex-old lady out in Abbotsford and moved back to Edmonton and have been finding a place to live and getting my old job back. Im still going to see if I can fix the solder joints, and if I cant fix it, i will be buying from this guy. Just want to get settled into the new place I found the other day, move in is tomorrow!!! yay for me. The rent is super cheap too, so Ill have plenty to burn on drinking and picking up chicks and modding the blazer now that I dont have an old lady nagging me on spending money!!!! I cant wait to crank my torsion bar up into some young club *****!!! Im going to be finding a new truck to drive so this one can get turned into a baby mud truck. I will have to show some photos of the mud truck my friend and I have been building in his garage over the years. Its a 94 fullsize blazer, no doors, no glass except windshield, no interior, 5.7 TBI, cammed, and we put a highrise with a 650cfm on and scrapped the TBI (I know its not possible, but we drilled the mount holes out in the highrise at the correct angle and it fits nice now) this things got 35 inch tires, New 4L60E trans, its getting a 5 inch lift, and we still have to install the 4.11 gears front and back, and he has built a PC into what used to be the dash and has been working on a program that will interface with the guages on the truck... We even mounted the headers upside down on the opposite sides and made cool tips that point straight up above the radiator, its a LOUD LOUD LOUD unit and makes gobs of power. We will be building bumpers and rollbars this summer, and hes trying to find some used 4point harnesses for it, and we are going to go for electric fans so we can move the rad back about 5 inches for front end clearance. He also has a wife that only lets the truck happen if its on used parts and recycled material. Ill try and get some photos next time Im over at his house and throw them up in the builds section. I want to do mine up as a baby brother for it in the next while.

Last edited by ohsofly; 05-25-2010 at 05:48 PM.
Old 05-26-2010, 03:03 PM

Well got under the hood again today, the sending unit is fine, its the connector on the end of the wire, its not holding tight and theres not even a half inch of slack so if it gets pulled tight it gets yanked out, so I'm going to run a new wire and a new connector...now i need to wash my hands AND keyboard...damn apple white keyboards!

edit: I've been looking at gauge panels, would i be able to add a tach easily or would i have to add something to the engine / wiring? I like knowing my rpm's

Last edited by dlippiet; 05-26-2010 at 03:59 PM. Reason: Forgot to add something
Old 05-27-2010, 06:45 AM

dlippiet not necessarily true about converting to digital. Check this out
http://people.oregonstate.edu/~akeym/
However DDS also does analog stuff too. He;s got a bunch of stuff listed on e-bay and have you talked to him about just fixing yours?
As far as a tach goes, I looked into it with my 84 Jimmy. I think there's one or two wores you need to add thgat run aff the didtributot but bear in mind that my Jimmy is so old it doesn't have a computer. The best thing would be to get a wiring diagram and check it out. I have a 94 W/D. If I get a minute, I'll take a look. You have analog gauges, correct?

Last edited by Gimpy Blazer; 05-27-2010 at 06:54 AM.

Quick Reply: changed plugs and found a loose wire (have pic)