1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

code 33 and 44, any suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 07:25 PM
Beginning Member
DefBlazer is on a distinguished road
Question code 33 and 44, any suggestions?

I have been having trouble with every other start or so it randomly was acting like its either missing or not getting fuel or flooding.

I've already done plugs and wires (ACDelco plugs because I've seen the trouble the others seem to cause for these trucks by reading through here about similar issues, the only had the 14.99 wires though).

oil change (which seems to have brought my oil pressure guage down to a normal reading.though i have bought a newsending unit that i am going to put in beacause this one is hemoraging oil)

Checked and fixed all visible vacuum problems (Last owner thought duct tape fixed vacuum t's and check valves. BTW anyone know where to get a vacuum diagram for this thing i can't find them on autozone.com)

Replaced fuel filter. and distributor. and rotor.

found more duct tape not holding a vacuum line on and fixed that.

I get code 33 and 44 at the same time which doesn't make sense to me. From what i understand that means the map says not enough air and the 02 says too much air?

The loss of power has lessened and now I can get the missing/bad idle on cue when i start the truck with my foot firmly on the brack it starts poorly with a rough idle then the brake softens and sinks down further and the engine smoothes out nicely, almost like the vacuum took time to charge up or something. and once the truck gets warmed up it seems to drag a little and loss some power. Terrible gas mileage is my concern right now.

Whats wrong with my poor little blazer?

PS: Known issues in motion to be fixed.

Oil Pressure Sensor replacement (hemoraging oil) (BTW any ideas on getting this bugger out?)

temp guage switch replacement

Muffler has softball sized hole in it
Catalytic converter (thats the muffler lookin thing before the muffler right?) has golf ball sized hole in it(thinking of having someone else make me a new exhaust due to my lack of garage and welder)

Need to fix the power lead to my radio head unit (when I turn on the marker lights i loose the fuctionality to my faceplate[still lights up and plays music but no display and only the power button works? weird huh? all the lights work great though and the headlights are brighter that any i've ever had. but the proble only seems to occur when the marker lights are activated.])

Fix the power windows
(the tracks has come loose[like the spot welds broke i have drilled holes and installed screws to try to fix, still in process.]and the window clips broke off and the window won't stay in the track [tried new plastic clips the broke loose and came off after the second day] and none of the weather stripping is left)

interior cosmetic surgery

Hopefully once i find i can afford to put gas in this truck i'm gonna fix it up and make it pretty I'll start a build page then. but my main concerc is getting the mechanical aspects in good shape and reducing the fuel cost.

and whatevery you my think is causing my problems with fuel economy.

Thank you in advance for all the help.

Oh no I see a money trap forming already. I'll be ok It's safe behind the blue couch, now to find the fuzzy wall.

Old 03-23-2011, 08:54 PM
Starting Member
ffox is on a distinguished road

The code for MAP could be a vacuum lead, that's also "Too much air" lol, going in the wrong place. The oxygen sensor is saying too much oxygen, NOT air, in the unburned fuel.
Yeah, that's the catalytic converter..The hole in IT could be causing most of your problems. The motor needs so much back pressure to operate properly.

Old 03-23-2011, 09:08 PM
Starting Member
burning_soul07 is on a distinguished road

What are you working on?

Old 03-24-2011, 06:00 PM
Beginning Member

A 92 s-10 2dr 2wd Blazer "Z" engine. thank you. I have found that it seems to be beginning to flood about the same time it warms up. On top of all the other problems I have also found that coolant is puddling on the frame and in the fan shroud on the driver side. however I can't find the source of the leak and the radiator remains full to the cap. I'm now out of money and ideas. I'm fixin to trade this thing to a guy at work for a 1100 goldwing, I would have already but this it my only vehicle and my Girlfriend doesn't want me to because of the dogs and whatnot. I Like this truck but I don't know if i can kee on doing this.

Last edited by DefBlazer; 04-02-2011 at 10:39 AM.
Old 04-06-2011, 04:28 PM
Beginning Member

Not that anyone cares but after trying to find reason other than the O2 and MAP sensor being bad i just replaced the sensors and everything works lovely now. thanks for the effort though.

Old 04-06-2011, 08:32 PM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough

You are dead wrong there pal! We love when people actually come post what the solution was! Thats cool, I cared.

Old 04-08-2011, 08:23 PM
Beginning Member

Well thank you very much... and i must appologize for that I brought my work issues to the forum. Thanks again Ohso BTW i been checking out your build very nice.