1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

CPI fuel regulator stuck open???

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2010, 09:53 AM
RWarrior is on a distinguished road
Question CPI fuel regulator stuck open???

Hi!

I just finished to create a Chevyota. 4.3 CPI into my old Toyota 4Runner.

On the firsts road tests I made, I got stalled 3 times... Like if the truck ran out of gas.. some missfire and stalled.

At first time I pushed the truck home with my pick-up, and "found" the trouble.

I seems to be the FPR getting stuck open! While putting the key at ON, I heard the fuel flowing back into the tank, without any pressure into the fuel lines. The only way I found to restart the truck was to put vise-grips on return line.. while the truck started I removed it, and it began to run smooth. The 2 other times I stalled on road I put the vise-grips again and it started fine.

The 3 times it happened it was maybe 5-6 second after I floored the truck..

I did maybe 3 hrs of searching on the internet to finding a similar case...

Do you have any idea?

Old 07-20-2010, 11:42 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Test the fuel pressure. Sounds like you just have a weak FPR.

The FPR is supposed to dump back to the tank ALL of the time. The pump should supply more than enough fuel to the engine that it will always be recirculating fuel to the tank.

Old 07-20-2010, 12:00 PM
Beginning Member
rusty91 is an unknown quantity at this point

are you sure you have the fuel lines hooked up right i crossed them on a tbi motor and had problems similer to yours

Old 07-20-2010, 12:14 PM
RWarrior is on a distinguished road

swartlkk: I know the FPR should let some fuel go back to the tank to keep the pressure at the right level.

But when it happened there was no pressure feeled into the line. It's easy to feel, because the truck have a fuel pump access hole under rear seat and I can touch it while I'm on the driver seat.

Even after 1 day sitting the pressure was'nt building up. I had to pinch the return line to "reset" it...

I'll go to the auto parts to get a new FPR.

What's bugging me about that, I ran the Blazer for 1000 miles before ripping it and I did'nt had any issues. And once installed in the Toyota, with a new fuel pump, new filter, new fuel lines, I got troubles.. maybe a little piece of rubber line been peeled of and went to the FPR

I know the 22Re engine on finger tips, same thing about the carbed Gm's, but all new to the CPI engines