1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Digital Dash connections ('91)

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2005, 02:19 AM
Talusgirl is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Digital Dash connections ('91)

I bought a '91 S-10 Blazer. The digital dash was replaced a year ago by the previous owner. First the speedometer and odometer part of it worked intermittently and then stopped, ("really Officer!") and just now the same happened with the rest. I could smack the top of the dash and it would work again for awhile, but it won't go back on at all now. The whole thing is completely dark. The previous owner said that he was told that it wasn't 'clipped in all the way, or walked out of the clip (??)' So how do I or can I , pull it out and reconnect it. Something definately seems loose (because it would go out when you'd go over bumps) and the dash itself(replaced) is only a year old. I'd appreciate ANY and ALL advice. THANK YOU!!!

Old 09-19-2005, 02:39 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Digital Dash connections ('91)

The gauge cluster should be able to be unbolted/unscrewed and removed. You may have to remove other trim that surrounds the gauge cluster, but it should be a straight forward disassembly. You will then need to inspect the electrical connections on the back of the cluster for vibration damage (abrasion damage to the contacts). I am unsure as to the design of the electrical contacts to the gauge cluster, but the most problematic design would have a male plug that is fixed in the dash and the cluster would engage the plug when it was seated into the opening in the dash. This design makes it very difficult to correct for faulty contacts. Many times, when these types of plugs are used, the corresponding female plug is part of a flexible printed circuit board where the contacts are just drawn into an opening in the back of the cluster. This is all speculation, though.

I won't really be able to help more until I know what type of connector you are dealing with. Once you get it apart, if you have access to a digital camera, snap some pictures of both sides of the electrical connection and I'll try to help you out to the best of my ability. One thing that you can do is clean the contacts on both connectors. If the contacts are exposed, simply take a normal pencil eraser and rub the contacts clean. If they are very dirty, then you may have to get some electrical contact cleaner and spray the contacts down, rubbing the contacts with a q-tip that is wet with the cleaner.

Good luck.

If you can take pictures, please try to attach them. If you cannot attach the pictures, please Private Message me by clicking HERE.

Old 09-19-2005, 02:05 PM
BF Veteran
Hanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond reputeHanr3 has a reputation beyond repute

I had similar problems on a '93 Astro van.
Turns out the back of the guage cluster is one big printed circuit board and force holds it next to the contacts. I took it out, well as best I could. Cleaned all the contacts with an eraser (yes like on the back of a pencil). Then I cut thin cardboard (like from cereal boxes, Cheereos to be exact) to fit between the printed circuit board and gauge cluster. Tape the cardboard in place. This provided the extra backing to the printed circuit board and made the contacts connect. I never had a problem again and drove the truck for another 5 years.

Old 07-29-2007, 03:21 AM
Bomblowski is an unknown quantity at this point

I know this thread is really old, but maybe someone can help me anyhow...

I've got the same problem with my digital dash (everything dark except speed and odometer), normally I'd have it repaired but i couldn't find anyone around here that is able to do that, so i'm willing to try the cardboard thing...
So where do i put it ?
I attached two pictures (sorry about bad quality - took 'em with my cellphone), maybe someone can explain a little further.

EDIT: I messed around with a bit of cardboard and made something like a "gasket" that sits underneath the blue circuit board. It works! Thanks Hanr3!

It's still a bit too loose, it goes dark for a second when you hit a big bump or something like that. so now im looking for something a bit sturdier to make a permanent fix. i thought of little plastic rings to put under the screws in the blue circuit board. i really don't want to put too much stress on the circuit board as it would take forever to get replacement around here. Any ideas for a nice permanent fix?