1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Digital Dash is not working

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 08:48 PM
Carl is on a distinguished road
Default Digital Dash is not working

All lights on the dash board are out except for the speedometer and odomiter. Is there a fuse for the rest of the gauges or is it the instrument cluster, all together? On Sunday, while driving on the highway, the speedometer and odomiter went out and the only thing showing was the (ABS) antilock gauge. The power windows and heat stopped working as well and I noticed the engine was winding out (if thats the right term, forgive me as im not very auto mechanic intelligent) I got off at the first exit and realized that from a stop, the truck takes off fine, but it doesnt switch gears (im guessing that was the winding out sound??) Ive been told that since its digital and the dash is out, that its not sending the signal to the computer to switch gears. So again, my question is, is it the whole instrument cluster all together, or could it be something as simple as a fuse or 2? Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanx in Advance

Old 10-20-2009, 08:50 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like you need to remove the cluster and install new bulbs.

Old 10-20-2009, 09:11 PM

Thanx swartlkk, I will do first thing tomorrow morning since I have the day off, could you please tell me if this would be located behind the digital dash panel? Thanx again in advance.

Old 10-20-2009, 09:14 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I missed the digital part... These dashes are known for their problems. Remove the dash and inspect the solder points on the circuit board on the back of the cluster itself.

The dash does not control the transmission though.

Old 10-20-2009, 09:34 PM

ok, so the speedometer doesnt control (send signal) to the Trans computer? I would think the dash doesnt control the heat or power windows either, lol....but when the speedometer and odometer go out, so does the heat and power windows, and the trans acts up. there was a time or 2 that when I started it, the speedometer and odometer came on, as did the heat and power windows worked, drove it around the block and no problems with the trans, but then turn off and back on and boom, everything is out again!

I was told that the 94 S-10 Blazer transmission is very computerized. If you have an electrical problem that is not giving the right voltage to your computer it will go into “limp mode”. When you are in limp mode you will be able to drive but won’t have full use of all your gears. Check for blown fuses and check the wiring on the passenger side just above where your feet rest as well as behind the carpet where it meets the fire wall. The transmission computer is just behind the glove box and has a whole mass of wires going to it, if any have gotten damaged you will have shift problems.

We removed the under dash, (under the steering column) and messed w/ some of the wires and one housing seemed to be loose, and when I pushed it in a little, the speedometer and odometer, heat, power windows and trans are working fine. turned the truck off an on several times and all is working, but still have the issue of all the rest of the gauges not working.
I will Remove the dash and inspect the solder points on the circuit board on the back of the cluster itself, and check the bulbs. Will let you know the outcome.

Old 10-20-2009, 09:38 PM
Administrator

The speedometer in no way controls the transmission. The VSS (vehicle speed sensor) in the trans (or transfer case if 4wd) sends its signal to the speedometer through a module or two. If the VSS sensor goes out, it can cause other issues.

Your other problems sound more like a faulty ground or two under the dash.

Old 08-18-2011, 02:33 PM
Kiwisid is on a distinguished road
Unhappy ..

I too have pretty much the same problem, On my 92, My dash went out. everything ( Fuel, Speed, tach, Oil Pressure, Temp, and blinker warning) went out. i still get my service lights, I took the Dash out, and a few of the bulbs were Burnt. so i replaced them, my dash still dont work, i put the dash into another truck and it worked just fine. the fuses are not blown or nothing. and no other dash works in it. any advice?

Old 08-18-2011, 02:34 PM
Administrator

Have you followed the harness and checked the condition of the grounds that broke out of the harness? Sounds like a grounding problem to me.

Old 08-26-2011, 09:56 PM
Kiwisid is on a distinguished road
Thumbs up Problem solved

I got a wiring diagram off a website. and my father followed it. and after 3 hours of comparing two digital blazers together. it was just a brake fuse go figure eh