1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Do I have a bad fuel pump?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 07:40 PM
Beginning Member
treysanatomy is on a distinguished road
Default Do I have a bad fuel pump?

I have a 1989 s10 blazer, 2dr, 4.3l. I disconnected the fuel line that goes from the fuel filter back to the fuel tank where the pump is, i turned the key forward and absolutely no gas began to pump out of fuel line. I can't hear the pump back at the tank either. When I spray starting fluid or put a bit of gas in the throttle body it starts. Anychance it can be a relay or anything else, or is it definitly the pump?
Thanx alot

Last edited by treysanatomy; 10-16-2009 at 08:02 PM. Reason: more info
Old 10-16-2009, 07:44 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Easy enough to check. Swap the relay with another one like it. Or remove the relay and put a fused jumper across switched terminals.

If you want tech help, knowing what you have would be great!

Old 10-16-2009, 08:05 PM
Beginning Member

Was I told wrong that since it pumped no fuel its the pump? In my mind the relay would need to tell it to? Am I correct? Thanx, I made the changes there. Gonna work on the profile as well.

Old 10-16-2009, 08:09 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Unless you verify power to the pump, you just know that the pump isn't running. It could be a bad ground to the pump, a problem with power supply to the pump (relay &/or fuse), or a bad pump at this point.

The best way to test power and ground to the pump is to disconnect the electrical connection at the pump and test the leads.

Old 10-16-2009, 08:31 PM
Beginning Member

My shadetree plan for this is to disconnect battery, use a pc of 2x6 on a floor jack to support the fuel tank, reomove drivers side strap 1st to see if i can gain access if not I will remove both. If I knew where under the blazer floor the pump is I would roll the carpet back and use a dremel tool to make an access panel. Is this a good or bad idea ya think, sir?

Old 10-18-2009, 12:35 PM
Starting Member
rastoma is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by treysanatomy
My shadetree plan for this is to disconnect battery, use a pc of 2x6 on a floor jack to support the fuel tank,
Are you even reading the replies from the people that's trying to help you?

If you are, did you do the things they recommended to check? If you did, what was the outcome?

If you are 100% sure that power is reaching the fuel pump, then yes I believe the next step is to remove the pump.

But I'm a new owner here, still learning myself. The experts will hopefully reply soon.

Just remember that if someone is offering a suggestion, reply back and state the results of the test from that suggestion before moving forward... that is if you want the most accurate help you can get here.

Old 10-18-2009, 03:32 PM
Beginning Member
Stitch17 is on a distinguished road

Get someone in the drivers seat trying to start it and hit the bottom of the fuel tankwith a rubber mallet and see if it starts. Continue to crank it over while hitting the tank. That's of course After you swap the relay with a known working one, like fog lights or something with the same relay. If you know the relays are good, and you took the line off of the fuel filter and flicked the key forward and nothing came out. it's like a 98% chance that it needs a new fuel pump. While you have the tank down look for pinholes on the top of the tank. These are notorious for leaking fuel. While your taking the tank down, bring it down slowly, or your gonna break the plastic lines. Bring it down approx 10-15 inches so you can get your arm up there to disconnect everything from the sending unit. It's easiest to take all the lines off the sending unit itsself.

Originally Posted by rastoma
Just remember that if someone is offering a suggestion, reply back and state the results of the test from that suggestion before moving forward... that is if you want the most accurate help you can get here.
That is probably the most important part of all.

Old 10-19-2009, 07:06 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by rastoma
Are you even reading the replies from the people that's trying to help you?

If you are, did you do the things they recommended to check? If you did, what was the outcome?

If you are 100% sure that power is reaching the fuel pump, then yes I believe the next step is to remove the pump.

But I'm a new owner here, still learning myself. The experts will hopefully reply soon.

Your exactly right I stand corrected. I am just really rattled with everything right now. I will do each thing I have been asked starting tomorrow and will report each outcome. Thanx for the wake up azz chewing I deserve it and accept. thanx

Old 10-20-2009, 07:56 PM
Beginning Member

Ok I swapped the relays to the very same number relay next to the fuel pump relay. Nothing happened. After searching my ignorant butt off for the power wire to the tank I stumbled upon it comin out of the body just in front of the rear bumper, who'd uh thunk it. Why I thought it would be in an external harness under the truck is beyond my own stupidity. But I used a 12v tester and it tells me I have power at that connection. Seems I would be much smarter being drug and alcohol free for over a 3yrs now. The stress right now is eatin my lunch. But back to the truck. I check all fuses, they were good.I have yet to do a fuel pressure test, which leads me to ask do I check it at the fuel filter with a tee and guage or at the throttle body supply line? I even did the beatin on the fuel tank whiles someone turned the key. So withthis update would you guys please advise me from here? I apologize for being so aggravating, I am not a stupid as I can sometimes portray.I apologize also for getting on some of your nerves. To those who help and support with answers and those who chew my butt out and give genuine caring answers I say thanx to you all. Your all I have concerning my shadetree mechanic career. If I had not just lost my job of 24yrs 10 months I'd say the heck with it and have it fixed, but can't do it. Sorry for the length of this reply I just wanna try to cover all as I said I would after being stood correctly...Thanx and Thanx again...P.S.....Please stick with me guys I promise to listen more and try harder

Last edited by treysanatomy; 10-20-2009 at 07:58 PM.
Old 10-20-2009, 08:25 PM
Beginning Member
Stitch17 is on a distinguished road

Well the easiest way is ti just take the fuel filter off and try to start the truck. If it doesn't shoot out fuel (You'l definitely know if it's working or not. It will shoot out fuel pretty fast and it'l shoot pretty far if the pump it good) I'd say your fuel pump is not working.

Quick Reply: Do I have a bad fuel pump?