1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

door hinges

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 10:33 PM
docta J is an unknown quantity at this point
Default door hinges

my door on my jimmy was all rusted out. i found a pretty good one (after searching forever!!), but the junkyard didnt save the hinges. i thought they were bolt on, but they were welded. i could saw my old ones off and try to bolt new ones on, but that might get ugly. if anyone has any suggestions or hinges for sale, please let me know

thank you

Old 12-06-2007, 08:27 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: door hinges

So they cut the hinges off of the doors? Or did they just remove the door pins, requiring you to purchase new door pins to install the replacement doors???

Old 12-07-2007, 12:39 AM

i bought new pins because my old ones were crap, but the actual hinge that the pins go through is gone. they said that they dont save door hinges for some strange reason. i somehow need to get my hinges off my old door and put them on my new door. i dont like it too much, because now im going to have to do a lot of adjusting>:O

Old 12-07-2007, 02:13 AM
dimmuborgir6nik6 is an unknown quantity at this point

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...6/IMG_3374.jpg
Do they look like that?
If you notice, that bushing is broken. Well a long time ago the spring in the door fell out, never got it back in. Took it to my auto mechanic, not even he could get that damn thing back in. It's been sitting in my cup holder ever since.
Anyway, over the summer I was in my friend's driveway picking him up. I opened my door and heard a *ping* sound. Turned around and my door was hanging off. As you may know, the top pin is held in upside down by the bushing. My bushing cracked in half, the pin slid right out of the door and the door was hanging on by the bottom pin. So my friend comes out of his house and sees me leaning up against the side of my truck with my arm through the window holding the door on as I tried to slide this rusty pin back into the hinge.
I eventually got it halfway in after hammering it to death, and one day it just slid in perfectly like that. I don't know when it happened, but it's been in there ever since. That thing's too rusty to move. A little multi-purpose oil when it squeaks, but good as new.

Old 12-07-2007, 08:21 AM
HeyYou is an unknown quantity at this point

Several Companies sell replacement hinges that are Bolt on. It requires removing the old hinges, and drilling some hole for the new ones.... but, you can then adjust you doors to close/open nice. Mine are sagging somewhat, even though the pins and bushings are new....

Old 12-07-2007, 11:33 PM

there aren't any hinges on my "new-old" door i bought from a junkyard, but there is four holes where the welds were. i could easily put bolts through them and then locknuts on the other side. where can i buy those aftermarket bolt on ones? i need them bad