1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

ehhhhh. easiest way to remove engine mount?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 09:55 PM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about
Default ehhhhh. easiest way to remove engine mount?

So,ive got 4wd,well...did....no longer has the front diff. So at least thats outta the way.

Well,i took a close look at the driver side mount. The rubber has crushed its way around and in the way of the bolts to the block. I tried a boxcutter and could cut a good bit outta the way but..this looks to be a hell of a job. Almost makes me wanna pay someone else to do it.

Any pointers? That chain is getting old,time for a actual replacement.

Old 09-03-2012, 04:10 PM
Starting Member
89 Blazer Lebanon is on a distinguished road
Default Need to change mine too

I need to change both of my engine mounts too and was going to post a new thread to ask how to do it too. Hope I'll get to do it before the weather changes

Old 09-03-2012, 08:51 PM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

I did mine....at least the driverside. the passenger side can get over it.

It sucked...why? Well, i didnt have to deal with the front diff as its removed anyways. BUT i did have to deal with cutting tiny pieces of dried out rubber off the old mount in order to remove it. it had crushed its self around the bolts and i couldnt get to the bolts until i removed the rubber. Which was a pain as little space,dull knife,and fireants were among me. Once you get the old one out though it was cake,for me at least. Had the old one out in 2-3 hours,new one in in 20ish minutes. But you have a front diff to fight with,i didnt. Let me know how it worked out.

Old 09-04-2012, 04:07 PM
Starting Member

I need to change the torsion bar mount on the driver's side 1st. Think I'll do it tomorrow as it's more important to do it. My engine mounts are not broken yet, but they have kind of too much play.
Did you need to remove the exhaust manifold or anything else or did you just jack/support the engine and change the mount? Did you reach it from below or from the engine bay? I think the passenger's side is easier to be replaced.

Old 09-04-2012, 04:40 PM
gitch93 is on a distinguished road

if u got to change the engine mounts on the 4wd i truly pitty u. it took me and 2 other guys 8 hours to change the driver side mount and 3 hours for the passenger side. the 2 top bolts are reachable but the lower one is a real bitch. no mechanic wants to touch them as its a very costly and time consuming job. in order to change them u have to take the front wheels off,remove the inner splash sheild and to make it easy the steering shaft. then u have to undo the top bolts on the rad support for the fan shroud and then place a jack under the engine with a block of wood and get a friend to watch the back of the distributer so u dont crack it and jack it up for u have room to work in. its also easier to remove the mount on the frame that the mount on the engine attaches to for added room to squeeze ur hands into. my reccomedation is do not go with oem mounts its easier to bolt the urithane ones in.

Old 09-04-2012, 09:38 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by 89 Blazer Lebanon
I need to change the torsion bar mount on the driver's side 1st. Think I'll do it tomorrow as it's more important to do it. My engine mounts are not broken yet, but they have kind of too much play.
Did you need to remove the exhaust manifold or anything else or did you just jack/support the engine and change the mount? Did you reach it from below or from the engine bay? I think the passenger's side is easier to be replaced.
Well,remember i dont have my front diff in right now,since you have 4wd your fun might be different. I had tons of room for the most part. The front bolts sucked though. If your rubber has not flattened out around the bolts you shouldnt have alot to fight with.

oh and for the torsion bar mounts,they are easy. At least the driver side. the passenger side is tricky,the exhaust has to be removed because you cant get the torsion crossmember high enough to put the new one in because of the exhaust.
Originally Posted by gitch93
if u got to change the engine mounts on the 4wd i truly pitty u. it took me and 2 other guys 8 hours to change the driver side mount and 3 hours for the passenger side. the 2 top bolts are reachable but the lower one is a real bitch. no mechanic wants to touch them as its a very costly and time consuming job. in order to change them u have to take the front wheels off,remove the inner splash sheild and to make it easy the steering shaft. then u have to undo the top bolts on the rad support for the fan shroud and then place a jack under the engine with a block of wood and get a friend to watch the back of the distributer so u dont crack it and jack it up for u have room to work in. its also easier to remove the mount on the frame that the mount on the engine attaches to for added room to squeeze ur hands into. my reccomedation is do not go with oem mounts its easier to bolt the urithane ones in.
I didnt have any issues with the distributor,nor even thought about it. But i have heard there can be issues with it. just be careful.

poly mounts are great,did i install them? no. im cheap. it'll backfire on me later. lol

Old 09-04-2012, 10:46 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

i remember doing mine in my 93 4x4 and it was really easy. BUT just like someone else said, all my 4x4 crap is ripped out. i just jacked the engine up as high as it would go and removed them.

Old 09-08-2012, 03:38 PM
Starting Member
Default Torsion bar mount changed :D

I changed the driver side torsion bar. It was totally torn apart! Taking it out was very easy but putting it back took me a bit more work as the lower bolts holes didn't align, so I used a ratchet strap with hooks to align them
Some pics:

Attached Thumbnails ehhhhh. easiest way to remove engine mount?-img_20120905_130744.jpg   ehhhhh. easiest way to remove engine mount?-img_20120905_130843.jpg   ehhhhh. easiest way to remove engine mount?-img_20120905_133339.jpg   ehhhhh. easiest way to remove engine mount?-img_20120905_133527.jpg   ehhhhh. easiest way to remove engine mount?-img_20120905_141146.jpg  

Old 09-08-2012, 06:10 PM
BF Veteran

yep,thats how they always look. So far the cheapy aftermarket on mine has held up. The passenger side is just wrapped up with chain and chained down. No way im hacking my exhaust to fix one of these.Nothing clunks,so im happy.