1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Engine quits, all electrical quits 94 Blazer/Jimmy

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2010, 11:29 PM
Beginning Member
AEChevy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Engine quits, all electrical quits 94 Blazer/Jimmy

I dont know what to think about this.

I deliver pizzas and my truck is my work, without it im in trouble.

My truck is a 94 Jimmy SLE 4x4 witht he Vortec 6 cylinder 4.3 litre ( I know its not technically a chevy, but I dont know where else to go. Im desperate.)

The problem is this:

I went to deliver a pizza and when I pulled into a parking spot, the radio reset as though i had jsut started the engine. I had not shut it off, just put it in park, it happened just before I set it into park.

I thought that was wierd, I shut off, delivered the pizza and came back, started the truck and pulled out. At this point the while pamel went black, headlights shut off, and I think the tranny even stopped working cuz I threw it into park while still rolling and it made a buzzing noise.

I shut off the ignition, shut down the radio, and turned off all electrical that might be on, such as headlights. I turned the key, it roared to life, then everything went black again.

No coughing, no spluttering no nothing, just black like all the power had been shut off like when the key is turned off.

I got it started again and headed back to my work, and when I got there, picked up another pizza, of course I was worried, and when I ent back to the truck it started, but then everything shut off again. so i left it for about an hour. Came back, no juice, no nothin. I turned the key and it was as iff the batter was disconnected. No click, nothing.

I popped the hood, and shook the battery cables, as soon as I did, especially the negative cable, the hood light came on, I got in and started up and got home. Since then its started up, we even disconnected the battery while the truck is running, and it ran fine.

Ill mention that I just replaced the knock sensors in the truck. Also sometimes the truck surges like its trying to go forward while im parked at a stop sign. Also in the last 2 weeks its been having trouble starting. The starter turns over but im not getting a spark.

My husband put some fuel injector cleaner in this last tank of gas, but I dont think tha would cause the total shut down of the electrical.

The only thing I can find that might be the cause is "The Battery Cable Ends At The Battery Side Tend To Get Crushed Internally" I read on another forum. I cant afford for my car to be shutting off while Im driving. Im scared to drive it.

If anyone can help, PLEASE help!

Ty

Old 11-28-2010, 09:21 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Sounds like you have found the problem. Bad grounds can cause a lot of issues. I would go over the battery cables and main engine/chassis grounds; check/replace as necessary as a start.

Old 11-28-2010, 05:11 PM
Beginning Member
AEChevy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default We checked the battery...

we disconnected last night as we said. We went to church and back today with no trouble. Only thing is we needed to pump the pedal to get it started, but thats been a problem since it got colder.

No suprises today!

Still scared to drive it far though