1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Flooding itself out..

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 08:30 PM
ss66 is on a distinguished road
Default Flooding itself out..

Im sorry for the lengthy post but I want to give details.
My 93 4.3 s10 engine Z has had a puff of blue smoke on startup for quite some time and seems to lack power. This puff is unlikely to be valves because it happens every time I start, even if it just sits for 10 minutes. It goes away right away though. Anyhoo, yesterday when I drove to the store it was fine, then when I went to leave it started fine but then died. I pushed the gas pedal down and got it started. Well basically it died nearly every time I came to a stop/slowed down/ let off the gas for a short time. I could get it started after a few tries with giving it gas, and eventually got it home. Well after I got it home it wouldnt start at all.. I let it sit overnight, and it starts fine as always right away.. but then dies on the second or third stop from home. I have NO trouble codes or engine light. Im assuming its flooding itself out.. awhile back it was bogging when I was driving it and I got a code 13 after that ( o2-or tps stuck ) I replaced the o2 and it changed nothing. Do you guys think I should replace the tps? Im jobless so I dont want to change random parts.. is there any way I can test it to see if the tps is the problem?

Thanks a lot.. sensors arent my thing. I want an old carb vehicle :-)

Old 06-29-2009, 08:55 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The blue smoke is likely caused by bad valve seals even though you do not think so. It does not always take a long time for oil to seep down the valve stems especially if there is a problem with sludge buildup on top of the heads causing them to retain oil instead of allowing it to drain back into the pan.

On the stalling problem, I would test the TPS sensor as well as remove and clean the throttle body, replacing the base gasket in the process. Also, remove and clean the EGR valve being careful to not get any cleaner onto the rubber baffle portion of the valve.

Old 06-29-2009, 09:35 PM
ss66 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the reply, how do I test the TPS? Also the truck never smoked until my computer fried in october and I ran it trying to diagnose other things. I figured the soot dirtied up some sensor(s) and maybe its ran rich ever since. Is the TPS a LIKELY cause?

Edit. also, the truck has had a rough idle since the whole cpu incident. Its not terrible just not as smooth as it was... and when it does die, its INSTANT and quiet, as if I turned the key off. No chugging or lowering of RPM's

Last edited by ss66; 06-29-2009 at 09:57 PM.