1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Fuel Filter Problem?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 12:38 PM
Beginning Member
BigBlu102 is on a distinguished road

is the sock separate from the fuel pump? (please keep in mind that i'm not an expert and i don't know what a lot of the lesser mentioned parts are)

And idk how to do the test and don't have the tools to do so. How much will this cost?

Old 02-23-2012, 01:12 PM
Beginning Member

Would changing the computer be worth looking into?

Old 02-23-2012, 01:21 PM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Let's make a plan:
Change the filter! And check it like I said. If there's crud in it you will have to change it again several times in the near future or else drop the tank and clean it. The sock is on the fuel pump which is in the tank.

If your car starts running good to great you still have to change the filter several times. If it doesnt run good to great and not getting better, you MUST run the FP pressure / leakdown. See if you can borrow or rent a FP test gauge.
You can buy one for about $20 at harbor freight cheap which will probably work. Their weak point is gauge itself which you can replace from Lowes plumbing department for about ten bucks. Ask for 0-100 lb water pressure ga.
DO NOT buy 'combination' tester. You cant trust anything says it does everything!

Old 02-24-2012, 03:17 AM
workshop4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Change the filter, see if it improves. Certainly can't hurt.

I fail to see how running the tank low will solve anything. If anything, that will just make the problem worse. Running the tank low will let all the rust/dirt floating at the top reach the pump and possibly get sucked into the lines.

Like mentioned by the others, run the pressure tests regardless of recent part replacement.

Old 02-26-2012, 10:51 AM
Beginning Member

well i did the premium fuel test regardless and surprisingly the problem improved very slightly. Acceleration wasn't as jumpy. when my tax return comes in I'm just going to have the fuel filter and fuel pump and assembly replaced. Seems like a good plan to me. if that doesn't work i will have the pressure test done and go from there. Will update if anything improves. Thanks

Old 02-26-2012, 11:48 AM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by BigBlu102
well i did the premium fuel test regardless and surprisingly the problem improved very slightly. Acceleration wasn't as jumpy. when my tax return comes in I'm just going to have the fuel filter and fuel pump and assembly replaced. Seems like a good plan to me. if that doesn't work i will have the pressure test done and go from there. Will update if anything improves. Thanks
It's a crappy plan. you're doing it backwards. And you're going to have it done which means you probably wont know what was wrong, anyway. So what are oyu gonna update it with? Hearsay?

Why do you have an old car? What I mean is why do you have an old car, ask for advice on here, then ignore it?

Old 02-27-2012, 11:55 AM
Beginning Member

Ok well heres the thing, to change the fuel filter its going to take $400 to have a shop do it because the lines are so rusted and rounded that i will need to replace the fuel rails. I ran a bottle of Chevron Techron Fuel Concentrated Fuel System Cleaner with my last fill up of Premium Gas and this is what happened:

Rough Idle: Completely Gone
Rough and Jumpy Acceleration: Gone at Steady Acceleration under 50 mph
Sputtering Up Hills: Still an Issue in High RPMs
Accelerating on On-Ramps for Highway Speed: Still Jumpy But Less Apparent
Highway Cruising (Speeds Over 50): Better When No Inclines or Speed Changes.

The fuel pressure is low to begin with, with 1st Gen Blazers (somewhere around 13-14 i believe) that will be my next course of action, testing that. But from these results I'm fairly confident the culprit is rust or dirt getting to the injector. Im hoping its just dirt because fuel conditioning will eventually get rid of the problem, but from the results i've seen today I'm thinking that the dirt is clearing out but there is some rust that is still giving me this problem.

I just did this a couple hours ago so I will update this tomorrow once i have more road time to experiment with.

If it is the injector i will have the fuel system cleaned and have the filter and sock replaced so this won't happen again.

As far as not taking advice, I have been, i just have a limited amount of money and time to work with so i have been trying the cheap and simple tests first until i have the money to have professional tests and work done.

Old 02-27-2012, 02:50 PM
K1500brute is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by pettyfog
It's a crappy plan. you're doing it backwards. And you're going to have it done which means you probably wont know what was wrong, anyway. So what are oyu gonna update it with? Hearsay?

Why do you have an old car? What I mean is why do you have an old car, ask for advice on here, then ignore it?
Well its a cheap plan that gave him an idea. The premium idea came from a friend that is an old broomstick mechanic and that i suggested awhile back on the other thread. He says that most of the time when you do this it means a bad fuel filter or clogged injectors due to the fact it can help clear up the fuel system. Most of the time if the acceleration picks up means that the pump isnt bad. if it was the pump it wouldn't have much of an affect do it still no being able to push enough fuel no matter what. Plus the engine probably need it anyway if he is having this problem, and even if it is the pump he is clearing up the lines to make sure it is the pump and not both. and has a plan to diagnose if it is one or the other.

and why are you getting so pissy after him not posting anything after 3 days. There might have been a more pressing issue or its not a main car so it is a back burner project. Whatever the case, not everyone keeps up with it every day or has the money to fix the suggestion the next day. He even said that he might have to wait until his tax return comes.

Originally Posted by BigBlu102
Ok well heres the thing, to change the fuel filter its going to take $400 to have a shop do it because the lines are so rusted and rounded that i will need to replace the fuel rails. I ran a bottle of Chevron Techron Fuel Concentrated Fuel System Cleaner with my last fill up of Premium Gas and this is what happened:
Anyways getting to the problem sorry for not posting again in the other tread. i didnt see that the tread up dated. And that was the next best thing to do if the premium thing seemed to help. Did you do all of the work or did someone else on the injectors and sparks? Cause the insides still could be caked with carbon if the fuel was still getting in the oil. also if you put the cleaner in and it improved its not the fuel nut. Be careful though when buying certain cleaners they can eat the plastics in the lines, that is what happen to mine. (F$#% STP)

Mine has has a rough idle but smooths out at high speeds and prefers higher RPMS so it is kind of the opposite but i am trying the sea foam idea, this weekend, i found following another tread. its supposed to help clean the crap left from the bad injectors. dont know if it will help but just another cheap idea.

https://blazerforum.com/forum/engine...-build-up-755/

Old 03-24-2012, 12:58 AM
Beginning Member

Sorry, i signed up through google and the site wouldn't let me log in until now. Someone else did all the fuel system work. Some half a** mechanic that worked for my old work did it. But he got fired so i don't know if he used new or used parts.

I've been noticing little oil spots on my driveway lately though where i park the truck.
My return still hasn't come in. So I'm still in the same boat.

Unrelated Question...
Does anyone know why my blinkers and reverse lights would randomly stop working? I replaced all the bulbs and nothing happens when i hit the flasher. No green arrows. Brights work though. Fuses are all good. Flasher under the dash replaced. i don't get it.