1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Fuel Issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2010, 08:54 AM
94BlazerPA is on a distinguished road
Default Fuel Issues

Yesterday, I dropped my tank to figure out my starting issues. After breaking off 16 years of rust off the bolts and lock ring, I was able to pull the pump out. I stuck the whole unit into a bucket of fuel so I could run the pump and see if it was leaking and from where. It appeared to be a slow dribbling leak from atop of the pump, where the electrical connect goes. It looked to have a small spring there. Now I have seen pics of newer pumps and sending unit where it looks to have a piece of hose running from the pump up to the sending unit, but mine appears to be orginal and has some sort of plastic thingy(pulsator???) in between there. When I ran the pump in the bucket it was making a clicking sound, not a constant hummm of a pump running. I didnt know how to take apart the pump from the sending unit, so I left it alone. I put everything back together minus the float, (I broke that off trying to put it back in, but I dont care, my gauge doesnt work anyways.) I put everything back together part ways and ran the truck, just checking everything was connected correctly, it ran and idled for a few mins. no problems. Put everything back nice and tight, ran it again, ran and idled again no problems. This morning start it up drive about 3 blacks to go get fuel and go to work, stop at a stop sign, it shuts off, wont re-start, I added 2.5 gals of fuel thinking fuel was low. Starts up, but shuts off right away. Like its not getting fuel. I ran my hot wire for the pump to run, I can hearing the clicking sound, the fuel pressure builds up to 55psi(I attached my gauge.) Still wont start and run.

Any suggestions? Please help, the wife had to take me to work and isnt happy about it. I need my truck back and running.

Sorry for being so long, but I wanted to give you all the info.

Old 10-04-2010, 06:57 PM
c0a8l0v6i8n9 is an unknown quantity at this point

Those pulsator's are garbage the ethanol in the gas kills them. Replace that with a piece of high pressure rubber fuel line. The pump shouldn't really click though, haven't heard of that. With the key forward does the pump cycle on for a few seconds? Does it hold pressure at 55? or does it drop?

Old 10-04-2010, 07:45 PM

I did some research on Rockauto, and the plastic thingy, is the pulsator damper. But I didnt take it apart. How would I, just pull it apart?

When I got home this afternoon from work, I tried to getting it running, but my battery was almost dead. So I couldnt get it to turn over, but I hooked up the my fuel pressure gauge and my 12v Hot wire to the pump and the pressure would go up slowly and I listened to the pump again and all I hear is a clicking/whoosing sound. Should I just replace the whole unit (sending unit/pump) or just replace the pulsator with the fuel hose that was suggested.

Old 10-05-2010, 05:55 PM

The pressure shouldn't be rising slowly it should instantly go up from anywhere to 55 to 62 psi. Its seeming like a bad pump is a fault.

Old 10-06-2010, 05:12 PM

Ok I was out working on it again this afternoon after work. I got my battery charged, I beleive the pressure was going up slow from the battery being close to dead. Cuz, once I put the battery back in the pressure jumped up and held, doubt its the FPR or the pump anymore.

I'm thinking its the spider or nut kit. So I took the plenum off and smelled gas right away. I discounted the nut kit from the spider and checked the pressure and fuel shot out the feed line like a garden hose, so I know the spider is getting fuel. If I was to take the poppets out and turn the key on to energize the pump, would the injectors squirt? I have a 2 other spiders laying around so I'll swap them tomorrow. I had to stop, getting dark.

Could I do any damage to the engine if I try to start it and it starts with the plenum off?

I would like some more input of this, am I going about this the right way or what should I try. ????

Old 10-06-2010, 09:59 PM

You can pressurize it by turning the key that's fine but DO NOT start the truck it will cause damage.

If you can the spiders sure go ahead and change it it, its worth a try. Also make sure those two lines connecting the lines from the tank to the spider also tend to fail. Their called a "nut kit".

Like I said pressurize the system first, check for leaks, then change out the spider.

I don't think the injector will squirt though, the computer would sense when the truck is trying to start and then will squirt.

Old 10-08-2010, 04:33 PM

c0a8l0v6i8n9, I appreicate all the input you have offered me, to bad no one else wants to help. I come here to help others and I would have expected the same for me for when I need it.

I'm going swap out the spyder today and see what happens. Keep my fingers crossed.

Old 10-08-2010, 08:20 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry that no one else responded or that you feel somehow slighted because of that, but this is a VERY common problem that is very well documented. Repetition gets old. Why say the same thing that someone else has already said? Especially when we all may be busy with other things... Don't take it so personally.

Old 10-13-2010, 09:07 PM

Grabbed a pretty new fuel pump from the junkyard, receipts in the trucks glove box, state that it was put in March of this year. Looked alot better then mine. I beleive mine was orginal. Anyways I threw it in the tank and now the truck starts first time and runs great. I replaced the fuel filter, fuel pump sock, replaced the Spyder connection. To make working on my tank easier I cut the 3 fuel lines and just added about 12 inches of fuel line and just hose clamped them tight. I can drop the tank lower now and is able to loosen them and slide them off. Thanks for the help everyone.