1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Fuel Pump Problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2010, 02:50 AM
Starting Member
blazedFLAman is on a distinguished road
Default Fuel Pump Problems

k here's the dilemma. I just got a 1983 S-10 Blazer 2wd 2.8L 2bb. The previous owner broke the mechanical fuel pump bolt flush with block. Then he rewired a electrical fuel pump(5-9psi) to the inside driver side frame rail. He also installed a alarm system that actuates power door locks,blinking parking lights and churps 1 time for armed and 2 times for disarmed. I am not getting power to the fuel pump, but when i hit the alarm(armed or disarmed)I can hear the fuel pump work for a split second but does not stay on. Now at the fuse panel where he has the hot for fuel pump there is no power at that spot now and there was before i put new pump in. I can plug it into a accessory fuse spot and the pump works and truck starts fine. I was thinking it was a relay but no luck finding it. I've checked under drivers dash side, behind glove box and engine bay fender wells and don't see a pump relay. Oh and on the fuse block there is a black box that all the wires that he used for alarm and pump connect to. I will try to get a good pic of everything tomorrow..thanks...
<http://i89.photobucket.com/albums/k2.../fuseblock.jpg"

Now my questions:
1. any idea of where the fuel pump relay is located?
2. I am not getting power to the spot located in red at bottom of pic where he currently has it hooked,would that be because of relay?
3. on top of fuse block where black box is, as shown in pic at top, is it difficult to take out fuse block to remove?
4. Do you think the alarm has something to do with the fuel pump not working? the remote works the alarm fine on and off and can hear pump for a sec
5. can I just run a hot to the accessory and by pass all that stuff with a fused link?
6. Do i need to run my pump to the oil pressure switch?
K..I know i am asking alot..lol and its really getting to me...and i will take a pic of the mess under dash tomorrow. bye and sry aboutthe long drawn out speech Merry christmas all!!! One Love!!!

Last edited by blazedFLAman; 12-24-2010 at 02:52 AM.
Old 12-24-2010, 12:44 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

1. Since the truck originally came with a mechanical pump, it would have no provisions for an electric one meaning that if there is a relay, someone else put it in. Anything that someone else added will have to be found by you. There's no telling where someone would put something.
2. Your picture isn't too clear. There should be auxiliary power taps in the fuse box that are labeled with 'IGN' for ignition switched sources, or 'BAT' for battery sources (power all the time). You need to find a power source that has power when the ignition is on.
3. The black box is aftermarket stuff. How easy/difficult it is to remove really depends on what it ties into. There is no way for us to know...
4. Doubtful if the pump is connected into one of the IGN source taps in the fuse box, but the alarm could tie into a relay somewhere... You really need to determine what you have. It sounds like a rats nest of aftermarket stuff that is far from the factory configuration.
5. As said earlier, the pump should be given power only when the ignition is on, not constant battery power. So you have to find a good ignition source and use that either directly or to trigger a relay (preferred) which would complete a circuit to a battery source.
6. No necessarily, but it would kill the engine if the pressure were to drop too low. It really depends on what kind of oil pressure sending unit you have in the truck. If you have an oil pressure gauge, then the sending unit may not have an on/off trigger which would be needed to have that tie into a relay. This gets complicated so unless you really want to do it that way, I'll refrain from detailing it further.