1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Getting a K5 smog ready

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2011, 07:29 PM
Beginning Member
bobjohnson2121 is on a distinguished road
Default Getting a K5 smog ready

Hi All,

I'm in the market to buy my first K5 Blazer. I found one I really like, but the problem is it is registered non op and can't be smogged in its current state. The vehicle is an 85 while the engine is a 350 from a 1990 Blazer. It doesn't have a smog pump, and the headers on the engine are not smog legal as well. I am wondering how difficult (and costly) it might be to get it to pass smog? Thanks a lot for any input. (sorry if I posted this in the wrong forum, but this is my first post). The ad for the blazer is below:

i have a 1985 chevy k5 with a 90 fuel injected engine headers dual flowmasters 350 trans 205 tc 9 inch lift military dana 60 front and back 456 gears locker in the rear limited slip up front 40 inch tsl super swampers black with gray interior clean shiny black paint

Old 10-18-2011, 08:35 PM
ChevyBlazerChick will become famous soon enoughChevyBlazerChick will become famous soon enough

It sounds like this blazer was set up for strictly offroad use so he just got rid of non essential (and power draining. lol) stuff

If it were me I'd go to a pick-n-pull and pull the emissions off a 90 K5. I'm not sure on the price but if you have the skills to do it yourself you will save tons of money.

Old 10-18-2011, 09:22 PM
Beginning Member

Thanks for the reply (just realized I posted this in the S-10 forum... oops).

Going to the junk yard is a good idea. If I could pull off the headers and catalytic converter from a 1990 Blazer that would be great. Anything else you would recommend trying to get?

Old 10-18-2011, 10:11 PM
Smitty Smithsonite is on a distinguished road

They check for all that on an '85? What state? ( I'm guessing CA ... )

Old 10-18-2011, 10:31 PM
Beginning Member

Unfortunately yes, California. The more I think about this, I don't think I can make it work, which is sad because the locked Dana 60s almost cover his asking price of 3900.

Old 10-19-2011, 10:55 AM
ChevyBlazerChick will become famous soon enoughChevyBlazerChick will become famous soon enough

My other idea was move out of Cali... lol.

I'm not too familiar with getting a vehicle inspection ready. 'Round here they just check to see if you have it on trucks like ours, not that it actually works lol. That's why our inspection costs like 9 bucks.

But I Think all you will need to get is stock Exhaust Manifolds, Smog Pump and Cats. And of course the tubing that goes with the smog and manifolds.

The hardest thing to do here will probably be switching the headers to stock. You might have to take the engine out to do it. I got one of my manifolds off while it was still in the truck... but I think the other I couldn't do for some reason

don't mind the mess, this was after the engine blew

You might need that big white canister right there... you'd have to see the engine tho. Is there a way you can go check the truck out and take some picture of the engine so we can narrow down what is missing lol.

Last edited by ChevyBlazerChick; 10-19-2011 at 10:58 AM.
Old 10-19-2011, 10:58 AM
Starting Member
CenTexBiker is on a distinguished road

you can change back to manifolds without taking the engine out

otherwise, CBC is on the money about what you would need to install

Old 10-19-2011, 04:04 PM
Beginning Member

Thanks a lot for the advice guys. I really appreciate it. The Blazer is over 200 miles away, and the guy selling it really doesn't seem to know too much about it, so I think I will pass on this one.

I really do want a K5 though, so hopefully I will be back soon enough with more newbie questions after I buy the right one!

Old 10-19-2011, 09:26 PM

Originally Posted by bobjohnson2121
Thanks a lot for the advice guys. I really appreciate it. The Blazer is over 200 miles away, and the guy selling it really doesn't seem to know too much about it, so I think I will pass on this one.

I really do want a K5 though, so hopefully I will be back soon enough with more newbie questions after I buy the right one!
Good idea. If he doesn't seem to know much about it, then he probably doesn't.

There will be plenty of K5s around. Heck I just passed a 1990 for sale on the way to my moms... TOTALLY wanted to stop and check it out and tell him I'd trade my husband's Suburban for it... lol

Old 10-20-2011, 07:45 AM
Smitty Smithsonite is on a distinguished road

If they use a tailpipe sniffer, just dump a few bottles of gas line antifreeze in the tank (pretty much straight alcohol), then drive around in 2nd gear for about a half hour before the test. You'll pass with flying colors - even without the pump.

Quick Reply: Getting a K5 smog ready