1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

got oil everywhere and cant fig from where

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 11:42 AM
bmxrr1990 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default got oil everywhere and cant fig from where

Hello this is Bobby I am proud owner of a 1991 chevy s10 blazer and I have had this oil leak that I can not find and now my oil pressure reading on the digital gauge cluster reads 0 when I start it before it never read 0 it normaly read about 30 to 40 psi. Here is some addition info there is oil basically every where I thought it was the oil cooler sending unit on the motor to the filter but at this point i dont even no there seems to be oil coming from the driver side of the oil pan and thers oil from the powersteering pump\resaviour and the rear of the passager valve cover it appears there is some oil but I cant tell ive cleaned almost everythign down with brake cleaner I've gone threw 8 cans of the stuff. There are two what I want to call sensors that are directly behind the TBI just to the right of the distrubitor they seem to have a coating of oil but I cant figure out what they are so if you have any advice on how to stop the oil leaks and what the sensors are it would be very appericated do to I am going to need this vechile to get back and forth to school so it would help if I didnt have to keep pouring a quart of oil in everyday just to keep it at level
Thank you
Bobby

Old 07-31-2007, 12:39 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: got oil everywhere and cant fig from where

Bobby,
First off, please use punctuation in your messages. It makes for much easier understanding. Now to the problem - have you checked/changed your PCV valve? If it's blocked, oil is going to try to vent from any engine orifice it can find. Since you cleaned the mess, where all did you see the leaks at? A listing might help in trying to diagnose the source/sources.

Old 07-31-2007, 11:43 PM

The pcv valve is new that was somethign I had to replace when I had recieved the truck.
The places I have seen oil coming out of and this is just sitting in the garage one jack stands not being ran since I cleaned down the motor.
1. oil cooler sending unit that is connected to the motor
2. all around the power steering pump
3. inside the oil pressure sending unit
4. around the oil pressure sending unit
5. on the driver side of the oil pan
6. leaking down the front of the timing chain cover
7. the bottom of the front main seal

I believe that is all the places that I can rember seeing oil leaking out from the motor.
well if you have any advice it would sure be appericiated,because I have no idea what to do with all theses leaks I need this truck to be reliable and dependable to get me back and forth to school in a month.
Thank you
Bobby

Old 08-01-2007, 08:17 AM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Okay, at this point my first thought would be that it's coming from the driver's side valve cover. Can you see if there is oil lying in the lip (top or bottom) of it, or on the block just below the valve cover?

Old 08-01-2007, 11:38 AM

It appears as if there is oil on the block but I can not exactly tell, there is no clear line of viewing to it.The oil that is on the block looks as if its coming from the front of the valve cover and the powersteering pump/res. There was some oil and just general engine gunk build up on top of the lip of the valve cover, the weird thing is that I have cleaned the oil cooler unit and there is fresh oil all over it again that is what is throwing me off.

Old 08-01-2007, 11:42 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I would have to recommend that you change the valve cover gaskets as a primary repair and monitor after that. It is quite possible that you'll need to replace the oil pressure sending unit and reseal the supply tube while you've got the sending unit out. Oil leaks have a way of getting oil all over the place.

Old 08-01-2007, 11:50 AM

I am going to be doing new valve cover gaskets most likely today and tonight, the thing is how do you reach the oil pressure sending unit its way in the back there cant seem to fit any tool back there to loosen it up.

Old 08-01-2007, 12:08 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, those can be fun... I'm not sure what exactly to tell you... I've always done this with the intake off...

Once you get the driver's valve cover off, you should have more room to get a large deep socket on the sending unit...

Old 08-01-2007, 02:25 PM

Heres a quick question what if its not the valve cover and the oil leak continues what else could it possible be?
I would just like to know what some other possiable things that could cause this leakage of oil.
Thanks once again
bobby

Old 08-01-2007, 02:34 PM
Administrator

Other than the valve covers, the other seals you have on your engine that hold back oil (not under pressure mind you) are the timing cover, oil pan gasket, the gasket under the distributor, the sealer on the top of the lifter valley ledges, and... I think I'm forgetting something... Oh yeah, lip seal on the timing cover that seals against the sleeve on the harmonic balancer and the rear main seal at the back of the crank (you don't want that to go!!!).

Quick Reply: got oil everywhere and cant fig from where