1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

got oil everywhere and cant fig from where

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2007, 03:02 PM
bmxrr1990 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: got oil everywhere and cant fig from where

The gasket for the distrubitor appears to be holding up its pretty clean back at the distrubitor I dont see or feel any oil. The timing cover is iffy there appears to be some oil from the top of it but it just looked like the back of the power steering to me, the oil pan I only see some little oil but that could be from the valve cover gaskets leaking. Have no clue where to look for the lifter valley ledges seals and lip seal. I will update with info tonight after I get of work and put the new valve cover gaskets on, picked up a bottle of that U.V dye for the oil the one that reacts to black light guess I'll run that after the valve cover to see if its all good
Thanks
Bobby

Old 08-01-2007, 03:15 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The lifter valley is under the intake manifold. The ledges are under the front and rear of the intake manifold. This area is sealed up with RTV when an intake manifold gasket replacement is performed. If the incorrect type of RTV was used, it could be leaking there. The lip seal is actually on the timing cover, but is covered by the harmonic balancer on the front of the crankshaft.

It is quite possible that all of these oily spots are being caused by leaky valve cover gaskets.

Old 08-02-2007, 01:24 AM

Ok so heres the update we got the driver side done in little under an hour the passanger side has us stumped.
How do you get the heater hose connector off the top of the intake manifold that is the onlything that is blocking the darn thing from coming out if we had 3/8th of an inch we would clear just cant get that damn dig out the way. Any advice on how to get that connector out the intake.
Thanks bobby

Old 08-02-2007, 08:20 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Any way you could snap a pic of what you are having troubles with? Its been a long time since I've worked on an early 90's 4.3L

Old 08-02-2007, 12:32 PM
Old 08-02-2007, 12:56 PM
Administrator

Oh yeah, I remember those damn things!! Try soaking it with some WD40 or equivalent and letting it sit for a bit. Sometimes the plastic seizes inside the aluminum lower housing. If you can rotate it side to side even a bit, it'll allow the WD40 to work in faster and release it more quickly.

Old 08-02-2007, 06:28 PM

Well I got the gasket replaced once that piece was removed it was a sinch to do.The only bad this is i had to remove the idle contorlor and when i was putting it back in it snaped on the last on the last thread making it almost impossible to get out but hitting a flat head in to it and just keep chisseling away got it out. Now just waiting for the rtv to dry so then we can put oil and the dye in it and see if its still leaking