1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

H6054 to H4 conversion

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 09:52 PM
m5james is an unknown quantity at this point

I thought about doing the relay thing, but if I'm going to go that far, I might as well stick w/ using the bi-xenon H4 kit that I have. I've considered throwing the HID's back in and driving around w/ them for a week or so and seeing if they're less focused as I mentioned in my last post, but at the moment, I'm actually quite happy w/ the lighting improvement using these headlights and a normal 55w bulb vs the stock and crappy H6054 headlights.

Old 03-28-2010, 10:28 PM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough

Im very interested in seeing these before/after photos you speak of... Please do share.

Im waiting to see these photos before I order one of these kits for my blazer from the internet and if they are only 21 bucks, Ill get a set for my S10 too!

Also, ive never ordered anything from Ebay, is it a good place to buy? I ask cause my CC number was stolen from some place we tried to order some medicine from online (never showed up and the bank informed us of them declining some charges they thought looked like it wasnt us), and that being our first online purchase we are a little leary of trying it again... It was nice of the bank to pick up on strange purchases they thought we were doing and cancel our card before the culprits could do any real damage. i didnt have to pay a cent for anything except what I charged and ended up getting my MagicJack for free too!!! Oh wait, i ordered from rockauto a couple times but I phoned in my CC number so that doesnt count as an online purchase.

Old 03-28-2010, 10:40 PM

For the price, I guarantee they're worth the money.

As for using eBay, even if something happens, PayPal for the most part has a our back...if someone overcharges, sends broken parts and isn't willing to cooperate, etc. With PayPal being the middle man and ensuring transactions, I think you should be completely fine. My worst instance on eBay is when I bought a replacement laptop screen from an individual (instead of a "store"), and this idiot sent the screen in a paper envelope. Needless to say the screen was broken, so I contacted PayPal and got all my money back, minus shipping charges.

Old 03-29-2010, 01:20 PM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough

Right on, I did a little reading and that paypal seems like its worth it if Im going to be buying online. I have a couple friends that have paypal accounts cause they do alot of buying over the internet. I think Ill check into getting myself one too.

So how about those photos????

Old 03-29-2010, 02:04 PM

Uploading 26 pics now...I just need to remember some of the specifics on how I took the pics. I tried to do lots of side-by-sides using :

Stock headlights
Conversions w/ fake blue HID 90w H4's
Conversions w/ normal 55w H4's
Conversions w/ Silverstar 55w H4's
Conversions w/ bi-xenon H4 kit purchased from www.hidextra.com using coupon code "besthid-m"

Once Photoboucket finishes uploading each 12 megapixel pic and I get them arranged in the proper order, I'll post them up. Trust me though, in the meantime, go ahead and order the headlights

Old 03-29-2010, 09:27 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by m5james
I've used different types of higher wattage bulbs, but eventually they we're more trouble than good when it caused either the headlight switch or harness behind the headlight to melt. If you've had luck, more power to you.

What are PD's btw?

yeah, i guess it seems like i've been lucky. ran that size of bulb for almost 5 years before i got rid of the truck. never even had a brittle wire right @ the connection.

and "PD's".............as in "Police Department's".

Old 03-29-2010, 11:10 PM
neo71665 will become famous soon enoughneo71665 will become famous soon enough

After making my own relay harness and seeing the difference they can make I use them on everything I own now thats street legal. I even redone the wiring on my 4 wheeler with relays and run the lights on it like that.

Old 05-16-2010, 02:38 PM

Sorry I haven't updated the pics. Honestly, I confused myself with my own order since uploading them to Photobucket got screwed up and rearranged them all. Honestly though, you really can't go wrong w/ them for the price. I asked for the harness, but I didn't even need it since the stock headlight plug fit perfectly onto the back of the H4 bulb. I did wire in a relay or anything, they work awesome and are definately brighter and more focused. The only thing I suggest is don't get the projector version and consider switching out the higher wattage bulb that comes w/ the headlight unless you're willing to do the relay mod.

Old 05-17-2010, 12:25 AM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

ok james, i have a question for you, since this thread is back on the road again.

my younger brother (who just happens to be named James as well) was looking @ putting in a HID H4 conversionsystem in his '83 Dime Summer truck, but with all of the custom shielding we built for under the hood, the system he bought won't work.

he says the buld sticks waaaay out, like "this" (holding his finger & thumb apart about 2"). and the shield that covers up the charcoal canister runs down flush with the back of the rad support (from the top, above the light).

so how far out did that HIDextra system stick out of the back of the housing?

Old 05-17-2010, 01:00 AM

Maybe an inch. If he's ok w/o using a hi/low H4 and only goes low H4, then it won't stick out any further than the stock headlight. The only reason an hi/low H4 sticks out more in the back is for the little magnetic assembly that changes the reflector location so it'll simulate a hi/low bulb. Having a low beam H4 only wouldn't be bad, but I guess it really depends on if he'll need highbeams for driving in certain areas.