1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Harmonic Balancer Removal 4.3L W 93 S10

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 04:38 PM
mn12 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Harmonic Balancer Removal 4.3L W 93 S10

The harmaonic balancer had parted ways with the crank pulley. What needs to come off? There are 3 smaller bolts and 1 large (crank) bolt. Does the crank bolt need to come off too? Am I better of replacing the puller /balancer assembly or does the repair sleeve thing work? (1993 S10 Blazer 4X4 - 217K miles).

Old 01-02-2011, 05:25 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The pulley bolts to the balancer. If the three threaded holes in the balancer are damaged, replacement of the balancer is advisable. The crank bolt would need to come off if you were to replace the balancer, but shouldn't need to be removed to reattach the drive pulley.

Old 01-02-2011, 05:41 PM
Default 3 Bolts off

How do you reattach the balancer to the pulley? There is a sleeve "Victor Reinz/Repair Sleeve-Harmonic Balancer" on AutoZone's web site, but no details on what you do with it AND you have to order it... Does the "sleeve" fix make sence>

Old 01-02-2011, 05:48 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The pulley just bolts on using those three bolts you mentioned. The repair sleeve is if the bore in the balancer and/or the turn on the end of the crank gets worn out.

Old 01-02-2011, 06:02 PM
Default Floppy Balancer

The balancer is loose just flopping around. Does the sleeve fix re-attach it to the pulley. Guess I'm confused as to how a sleeve will be able to get past the pulley without taking it off as the pulley in a much larger diameter. Also, I got the three bolts off but the pulley remains firmly attached??? I guess once I get the center bolt off and get the pulley off .. it will make more sense

Old 01-02-2011, 06:08 PM
Administrator

Ok... So what exactly is going on here? From your first post, I thought the pulley was separated from the balancer... Now, it sounds more like the outer ring of the balancer has come loose from the balancer itself and is flopping around in there.

The pulley itself bolts onto the balancer with 3 bolts. The balancer has a precision fit to the crank and is held on with the large center bolt.

If the outer ring of the balancer has come loose, the balancer needs to be replaced. The sleeve will not help you. Once the outer ring comes loose from the rubber isolating ring, the balancer is junk.

To replace the balancer, you must first remove the pulley by removing the 3 bolts and knocking the pulley off. Then remove the center bolt on the end of the crank and install a puller using the three bolts that held the pulley on. Pull the balancer and install the new balancer.

Old 01-02-2011, 06:24 PM

Sorry I wasn't more clear on the initial post. Yes you are correct, ring ( the part with the timing mark on it ) has come loose. Does this attach to the harmonic balancer? Autozone's site made it seem simple to use the "sleeve". So I guess I will need to remove the pulley, remove & replace the harmonic balancer as well. Thanks for your patience on this issue. I've done at lot of "shade tree mechanic" stuff, including heads, short blocks etc, not have never seen this one before. Guess I've been fortunate with 217,000 mile on this Vortec, beside injector asm this is probably the most involved repair. Thanks again. Happy Holidays from Arizona !!!

Old 01-07-2011, 01:40 PM
Default Help !! Can't get center bolt off of balancer

4.3 "W" Vortec 93 S10 Blazer
I can't get the center bolt off of the balancer. The 3 outer bolts are off and the pulley still seems to be attached as well. I've tried WD40 on the center bolt and an impact driver `(it is right hand threads isn't it?? CCW to remove). Any suggestions??

Old 01-10-2011, 11:59 PM
bam_9_9_9 is on a distinguished road

yea you will need a break over bar and a 6 point socket to get that sucker off.