1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Headlight Issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 12:24 PM
88jimmah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Headlight Issue

My drivers side headlight will only work on high beam now.

Could someone please post up and tell me where the fuse is for that headlight? Ive checked the ones inside the truck and it doesnt appear to be there. I have searched the net to try and figure out where it is to no avail.

I have checked the wiring and it all looks fine, i checked the ground wire behind the horn and that seemed to look fine.

The passenger side works fine...both high and low work.

Without even thinking of checking anything I went and bought a new set of lights...figuring the truck was old and it was about time for them to be replaced...ofcourse the new light didnt work which lead me to test the highbeams. Oh well...got some good lights now if I can get it working again.

Thanks for any replies

edit to add
1988 jimmy 4x4 with the 4.3

Old 09-21-2007, 05:44 PM
Default RE: Headlight Issue

Ok so the more and more I read and ask around on this issue people say if its the fuse then nothing would work. They are telling me to check the wiring some more, and check the switch.

Would the switch being bad cause just one light to not work on low beam? It sounds to me like if its a problem with a switch then niether low beam would work...

Thanks

Old 09-21-2007, 06:58 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

If you switch the headlight side to side, does the low beam work? Its possible that the low beam filament is just bad...

And you are correct, the fuse would control both of the headlights.

Old 09-21-2007, 07:10 PM

Im not sure what you mean by switch it side to side? Like shake the headlight?

edit to add:

Oh i see what your saying...

Well ive installed the new headlights and the low beam still doesnt work

Old 09-21-2007, 07:21 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Then you have a wiring problem. If you do not have ground and +12V at the headlight (with the lowbeams on), then you have to trace the wires and determine where the problem is. I do not believe that you have a headlight relay with as old as your truck is so it has to be in the wiring somewhere. The TAN wire is the low beam +12V supply. While the LT GRN wire is the +12V feed for the high beam. It is possible that the connector itself is just not contacting for the low beam...

What is weird is the wiring diagram that I am looking at has the LH headlight as the direct feed from the dimmer switch, branching off from there to the RH headlight.

Old 09-21-2007, 07:33 PM

So by one light working that should rule out a switch issue?

Thanks for the info on the color of the wires that will really help in tracking them down...as today I was looking at pretty much any wire on that side of the truck...

Thanks again for the info

Old 09-21-2007, 09:13 PM

Solved.

Traced my tan friend back to the harness and just jiggled it around and put some pressure on it...I also blew the place out with compressed air and now I have both lights.

I am glad I went ahead and bought new lights though...these are a whole lot better then the old ones.

Old 09-22-2007, 10:36 AM
Administrator

Glad you got it fixed. Did you find the actual problem or did the jiggling and cleaning do it? Reason I ask is because the problem may come back if it was a connection problem in the harness... But if it was just a dirty connection at the headlight, then you may be good to go.

Old 09-22-2007, 12:51 PM

I am expecting it to come back lol

It was on the harness on the firewall...Its almost as if someone tugged on the wires and pulled them out just far enough for it to not make contact...but after mushing it back in it seems fine.

I was rerouteing some vacuum hoses the other day so I may of done it...but I do not recall getting close to that area *shurg*