1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Heater Hose coupler broke, threads stripped

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2022, 02:46 PM
Ernest Farah is on a distinguished road
Default Heater Hose coupler broke, threads stripped

hello,
I have a 1990 s10 blazer. The heater hose was just in bad shape leaking, and needed to be replaced.
I took it out and ofc it broke off, tried the removal tool but it just clipped it into pieces. now, the threads are stripped.
i found some repair kits that include a tool to rethread the threads.
need to be sure what kit to use to be suitable for the connector.

thank you

Old 07-11-2022, 12:16 AM
mr.vls will become famous soon enough

Are you ref. the heater hose connection to the Intake Manifold? Do you have a pic of the damaged fitting? It should be pipe thread fitting. Pipe threads are tapered so you would need the correct size Die for the Pipe Thtread.

Old 07-11-2022, 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by mr.vls
Are you ref. the heater hose connection to the Intake Manifold? Do you have a pic of the damaged fitting? It should be pipe thread fitting. Pipe threads are tapered so you would need the correct size Die for the Pipe Thtread.
Yes, its the heater hose connector to the manifold. its a 1/2", but some 1/2" differ from others so i need to find the correct ones.
this is the connectors hole in the manifold..pretty busted. i need to find the correct 1/2" threading tool for it, so it fits the connector.

Old 07-11-2022, 07:37 AM
Walleye Hunter will become famous soon enough

I can't really see much from that but I never heard that there are different NPT threads. I'd clean that up with a tap and see if there isn't enough to make it work with teflon tape and pipe dope.

Old 07-11-2022, 08:08 AM

Not different pipe threads just the correct size pipe thread. Most likely it is 1/2 NPT but measure the outside dia. of the pipe and a internet search would identify what size tap you need

https://www.bing.com/images/search?v...t=0&ajaxserp=0

Last edited by mr.vls; 07-11-2022 at 08:12 AM.
Old 07-11-2022, 08:34 AM
Walleye Hunter will become famous soon enough

Not different pipe threads just the correct size pipe thread. Most likely it is 1/2 NPT but measure the outside dia. of the pipe and a internet search would identify what size tap you need

I thought that pipe measured the inner diameter.

Old 07-11-2022, 10:28 AM

You, are correct in that the NPT is measured by the ID when buying pipe. Where is gets confusing is that pipe comes in different schedules, (40, 60, 80) The higher schedule the thicker the wall thickness and smailler ID. Outside dimension does not change. Standard pipe thickness is schedule 40. Measure the OD diameter of the pipe nipple and compare it to the chart to identify the correct tap you need. A thread chaser would be better as it does not cut as deep as a regular tap.

Old 07-11-2022, 10:57 AM
BF Veteran
Tom A will become famous soon enough

If it were mine, I would drill it out to 23/32" (or 3/4" if you can't find that size) and run a 1/2" pipe tap in it. Be careful not to overtighten it when you reinstall the new fitting, or it may crack. Teflon tape can also cause it to crack. Better to use some kind of pipe dope paste.

Old 07-11-2022, 11:23 AM

I would not drill out oversize unless the existing threads cannot be saved. If you did have to drill and tap to the next NPT thread size I would install a reducing bushing to maintain the correct hose diameter.

Old 07-11-2022, 11:47 AM

I tried some 1/2" water tap pipe and it went in a bit and stopped. so it does look like a 1/2" but threads are probably different in size/ density per inch or so

Quick Reply: Heater Hose coupler broke, threads stripped