1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Idle and running issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 07:24 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You have to test sensors. Unplugging them does not give you the complete picture of what is going on.

The TPS sensor can be tested by back probing the sensor return wire. The sensor return wire should be returning ~0.5V at idle and should smoothly transition to ~4.5V at wide open throttle. If there are any spikes or drop-outs in the voltage on the sensor return, the TPS needs to be replaced.

The MAP sensor outputs a return voltage to the ECU proportional to the vacuum pressure in the plenum. I have posted baseline values in other threads on the forum. A search term of "map+altitude" with an author of "swartlkk" put into the advanced search feature should get you the necessary information. Again, you have to back probe the sensor return.

If you are experiencing low oil pressure, you really should determine if the pressure is actually low or if it is just the inaccuracy of the stock gauge. Provided that the oil pressure is >8psi at idle, it is good enough. Oil pressure shouldn't cause your symptoms.

If there is a vacuum leak either at a gasket surface or a vacuum line, spraying starting fluid at the leak will influence the idle speed.

Pull the EGR valve and clean it and the supply pipe really well. A nice long 3/4" diameter brass pipe cleaner works well for this purpose along with some sensor safe carb cleaner.

If you are unfamiliar with some of the techniques I present, try googling them first. If you are uneasy about performing some of the tests, it may be time to enlist the help of someone that can do the work. Get yourself a factory service manual or a subscription to AllDataDIY.com and start the process of elimination.

Attached Thumbnails Idle and running issue-93_eng_perf_sch.jpg  
Old 03-04-2011, 07:44 PM
Beginning Member
J.R. Clay is on a distinguished road

OK, I will do The Following tests at a garage ( have an experienced person test the sensors)
However with your attached wiring diagram it would fairly easy I printed The diagram and man was I glad to get it Thanks so Much.

Question: I do Not believe it matters where a Wire is Grounded long as its grounded correct?, The 2 wires going to The Variable tuning control are no longer grounded to the back of the block but to the side when replacing engines it was easier to put them on The side

What I have done since I last posted was drove The truck again and it nearly dies when given gas with The tps plugged in however doesnt throw any check engine light codes,

Pulled The Plug off the sensor and man does it have the power and idles at prolly a bit over the normal speed and sound fairly decent.

Wondering what is The cause though, ( Maybe another sensor is bad causing this one to be) Hopefully My cousin who owns a reputable garage ( however still charges me teh same as everyone else) can assist with minimal cost in testing the sensors on The plenum.

Question: is condensation normal on the bottom of a PCV valve? ( water) but none seen on dipstick.

You Have made getting My blazer back on the road possible as I am about to return to work from short term disability and am drained on cash the engine and transmission cleaned out my bank account and I have borrowed since then to get misc parts and gas. You are a Great asset to society abroad.

Found some Good explanation and info on this topic at
http://www.ehow.com/how_4489318_trou...ps-sensor.html a good explanation of How To
http://www.auto-facts.org/throttle-position-sensor.html a fair explation of why and what ypur doing
http://www.buzzle.com/articles/sympt...on-sensor.html The best explanation of symptoms and such

Cleaned The EGR Valve ( wasn't really dirty or Corroded ) Put it back on, Couldnt get The sensors Map/TPS/ Manifold auto Tuning/ tested yet, Went ahead and placed a diff TPS from Junkyard on Truck to see what happens ( still have the original)

Question: What does The Manifold auto tuning sensor do on those engines? What happens when they go bad? symptoms/effects

Ran the Truck again it sounds good and runs fairly smooth without the TPS sensor plugged in, However even with a diff sensor it runs like crap nearly dieing when given gas and dies when running, w/o it power, no dieing smooth running with higher rpm in idle.

I am still gonna get sensors all checked, what else could be tHe culprit?

Vehicle Is Flooding and Using Massive Fuel amounts worse w/o TPS plugged in on gas But runs better over all without it plugged in except on hills.

So I am still waiting on a vacancy at My cousins garage to test The individual Sensors and Swartlekk's image is a Great help again there, also could someone Post what The reading for other sensors are?

Last edited by J.R. Clay; 03-07-2011 at 05:23 PM. Reason: More Info