1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Ignition switch problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 03:55 PM
Beginning Member
asgeir is an unknown quantity at this point

ok that solution was only to get the car home to my garage. Now i have removed the steering wheel and the lock cylinder. the lock sylinder does not move towards the start position, and i do have to replace it. In Norway it is not easy to get spare parts for this vehicle, and the ordre is placed in the Usa. I takes at least two weeks for it to get it here. In the mean time i had to find a temporarely solution. I bought a custom starter switch and made a circuit with a relay.
* 30 : Starter motor side of wire
* 87 : Ignition # 1
* 86 : One side of the switch
* 85 : Constant
* 87a: to ignition switch start position, as the circuit is resting on connector 87a. That means that i can use the original lock cylinder as well when i get it replaced.

But i want the custom starter switch to only work with the transmission in park or neutral position. I have tried to find what cable that comes from the transmission park/neutral switch, but can not find it. Does anyone know what cable and where?

Attached Thumbnails Ignition switch problem-bilde.jpg  
Old 08-28-2010, 08:45 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I recently posted the neutral safety switch schematics... Lets see if I can dig that up.

*EDIT* - I could not locate the diagram I was thinking of, but did find one that only showed a neutral safety for the manual transmission equiped trucks. I believe that the park/neutral logic is mechanically built into the column. The ignition switch itself is located on top of the steering column up above the brake/accelerator pedals.

Old 08-30-2010, 02:56 AM
Beginning Member
asgeir is an unknown quantity at this point

I located the tailgate unlock relay, as i know it is only activated in park position. Here i found the orange/black wire that goes to the park/neutral switch.
Connected this to the starterswitch circuit that i made and got a starter button that only works when the ignition is on and the car is in park og neutral. :-)

The circuit is like this: Use a relay in this circuit, and connect the following.
* 30 : Starter motor side of wire - Green Wire that goes from the starter to the ignition switch. I cut this wire and connect the other side to 87a
* 87 : Ignition - Pink Wire located near by the green. (Under the instrument panel)
* 86 : One side of The new starter switch
* 85 : Constant + or + activated by the ignition on.
* 87a: to ignition switch start position, as the circuit is resting on connector 87a. That means that i can use the original lock cylinder as well when i get it replaced.

The other side of the new starterswitch has to be connected to the orange/black wire that goes into the tailgate unlock relay. This wire is in the tailgate unlock circuit, and connect my relay to ground.

I beleive this is a safe way to have Your own push button starter switch in Your Blazer.

Red: to Adminstrator - Is it possible to upload this as an "how to"?

Last edited by asgeir; 08-30-2010 at 03:23 AM.
Old 08-30-2010, 08:08 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

RE: How-To Article: It would help if you had wiring diagrams and pictures of the install process, etc. You also need to clearly define the application range of the vehicle. If you want, please create a thread in the DIY Submissions/Discussions section found within the Tech Article (DIY) area.