1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

I'm so stupid!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 04:06 PM
Recon is on a distinguished road
Default I'm so stupid!!!!!

Damn guys, well I once again did something stupid.. ok first off I finally replaced my nut kit with a brand new one, but it still seemed to lack power and it was surging at highway speeds, taking apart the plenum, I pulled the spider legs out and turned on the key and one of them was leaking.. well I also just put on a new pressure regulator and I had 2 extra spider assemblies put up.

So I figured I would just replace it last night with one of my spares, it was dark and using a flashlight in my mouth and the under hood light I decided I would go ahead and take the new regulator off the discarded spider and replace the one on the newly installed one just to prevent problems....

well long story short it was dark and there is this like plastic gasket "not the 2 rubber ones it has like 1 notch in it and when I pulled out the old regulator it came out with it (without me noticing) so I put it back together and go to start it up then Boom! HYDROLOCK? I hope so it turned over ran like crap for 2 seconds then locked up, I took off the plenum in a hurry and it totally blew the bottom screw hole (holding the bottom of the regulator on) and completely filled my engine up with gas, I let it sit all night, used wiffeys car to go to work today (god I hate sharing vehicles), so I guess I want to know is my engine gone? or is it going to eventually unlock when I got home this evening I took the spider out and tried turning it over again with no luck.

EDIT: ok using the 3 injectors I sat on the john and used them to make one good injector, cause all 3 at this point had a couple damaged plastic tips at the end of the legs. I put it back on the truck and tested it out (without it being plugged into the 6 ports of course) and everything seems ok, just hope I didn't damage any of the pistons or anything.

EDIT #2, my bathroom has really good lighting, and no I wasn't pooping while building my injector!
thanks again

Last edited by Recon; 01-07-2011 at 05:17 PM.
Old 01-07-2011, 05:05 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

Pull the spark plugs and see if you can turn it over via the crank. This will also help the gas in the cylinders to bleed down into the crank case. If you can't turn it over, time for a rebuild. If you can turn it over with no noticeable catches or metal you "should" be okay.

Old 01-07-2011, 09:58 PM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough

just pull your spark plugs. A cyl full of gas should leak past the rings by morning... You should be ok man.

Old 01-07-2011, 10:00 PM

I'm pretty sure I could rebuild it on my own if I wanted to, I'm just now sure how to remove the piston from the cam shaft without removing the shaft its self. how hard is it?

Also, if it did happen to bend a piston rod then I would really just have to replace that one piston, correct?

Thanks, ohsofly, you made me feel a little better, I'm really worried though cause It locked up LAST night, and it was still locked up when I got home around 3pm today.

Old 01-07-2011, 10:07 PM
Outsydr is an unknown quantity at this point

Def. try removing the spark plugs like ohsofly said when the fpr went out in my '94 even 3 days later it was still locked pulling the plugs let me rotate the crank with a breaker bar and socket and pushed the remaining gas out of the spark plug holes, changed fpr did a complete tune up and oil change drove it for 3 days then changed oil again to make sure I got all the fuel out that was over 2 years ago still running strong.

Old 01-08-2011, 10:44 AM

Thanks guys, I pulled the plugs, pulled the fuel pump fuse and again I was too dumb to follow all directions as in "manually turn over engine" I actually used a big *** screw driver put it between the 4 bolts on the fan shaft turned it a little bit and hoped in used my starter to fully cycle it then I created a huge fire under my hood.

my neighbor happened to see it and ran out in his pajamas with a fire extinguisher, apparently where I wired a new plug onto the temp sensor and never taped up the bare wires where I tied them together it caught it on fire (I had the ignition module unplugged) anyways It just made a few things crispy but it started right up and sounds better then ever, went this morning in wiffesy car and picked up new oil and filter so about to go now and change oil.

UPDATE: ok so I changed the oil, took it for a 20 mile drive and it seems like its lacking power.. its like when its idling in park, I can give it gas and it sounds great not one miss, but when I try to pull out fast it starts surging. I blocked off the egr and besides giving me a SES light, it didn't improve anything. and the fact that it runs perfect in park makes me think the exhaust isn't clogged. funny thing is, is that this is basically like the same symptoms I had when I changed out the nut kit and cpi. (btw I just put new plugs and wires on it about a week ago and besides being gass covered they still looked good.

UPDATE: I took it for a long drive in hopes that it would clear up but no luck. any sugestions. I also unpluged the oxygen sensor thinking it may be bad from all the carbon. and even drilled a couple holes in the catty, still same symptoms.

thanks again!

Last edited by Recon; 01-08-2011 at 12:26 PM.
Old 01-08-2011, 08:05 PM
Starting Member
JustJerry is on a distinguished road

I'm just speculating. Could it not run real good at idle with a partly stopped up exhaust system, yet when your going down the road the exhaust system could be stopped up enough to keep it from running properly?

I recall some one suggest taking out the oxygen sensor and driving down the road seeing if that gives any relief.

Maybe others can chime in on this.

Old 01-08-2011, 08:46 PM

well, I wish it were something easy like that. I've read that the plug under the plenum that snaps onto the 2 prongs on the injector gives people similar problems also but I wiggle the wires and its fine, I'm not sure, when I rev it up in park it sounds like its just fine but when I drive it it seems so weak, I almost got rear ended today pulling out, if I floor it then it seems to get up and go like its supposed to, but other then putting it to the floor it doesn't accelerate worth a crap. its like as soon as it hits second gear it starts lagging a little bit the rpms jump up in like 5 stages (if that makes since) but even when pulling out from a dead stop it doesn't seem right...

I feel like I'm never going to fix this damn thing, after sitting all night its hard to start in the morning, so I'm sure its a fuel issue, and I have ran it out of gas a few times in the last few months. Due to leaky nut kit messing up my gas mileage. my gas gauge doesn't work so i have to go by mileage I was playing it safe I thought at 300 miles per 20 gal tank full but it ran out at 260. I guess I could of messed the fuel pump up (I did also change fuel filter did nothing to help my problem.)

I figured if it were a pump then it would just go out and not work at all but when I turn on the key I hear it hum for a second.. it doesn't sound bad or anything.. I don't know. Any suggestions are welcome, I did drill a single hole through the bottom of my catty. I plan on bypassing it in a few days.

I guess I will take out the oxygen sensor in the morning, I just hope its not stuck on there too bad.

Last edited by Recon; 01-08-2011 at 08:51 PM.
Old 01-08-2011, 10:21 PM
94BlazerPA is on a distinguished road

What is your fuel pressure? It could your fuel pump on its last leg. Its able to pump enough fuel for it to run and idle, but when under load it cant. You also said its hard to start in the morning. I had the same problems with mine and I replaced the pump and it starts right up all the time now.

You ran out of fuel a couple of times, could be your sock at the end of your pump is clogged with whatever dirt/rust is in your tank.

Even though you have a 20 gal. tank, you wont use all 20 gals, even when empty. There's baffles in the tank to prevent fuel stravation when off roading. They prevent the last 2-3 gals from reaching the bottom of the pump. When I fill up I only get about 240 miles on a tank, about 19 mpg.

Old 01-09-2011, 01:34 AM
Starting Member
burning_soul07 is on a distinguished road

I agree with the fuel pump. I have read many a threads in this forum and on s-10 forum where the pump is lacking the psi to keep you moving. I dont have the 4.3 CPI, but I am pretty sure you need 56 to 60 psi for it to work properly.

Quick Reply: I'm so stupid!!!!!