1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

intake

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2009, 11:00 AM
taypac is on a distinguished road

okay, it's a 1994 s10 blazer 4.3 vortec MFI. it's a cone style air filter. i just want the intake cone to face the front to get more air. but i've got no room for a tube, [other than the stock one]. right now it points to the driver side of the engine compartment. i just want to maximize the air flow in.

Last edited by taypac; 05-13-2009 at 11:03 AM.
Old 05-13-2009, 12:17 PM
Starting Member
86Blazer4x4 is an unknown quantity at this point

oh ok so your trying to do something like the ls set up where you have the intake manifold then the filter? it should work i dont recall that setup having a maf. im pretty sure its has a map sensor. i dont see how also this would bring in nothing but hot air it will be sitting right next to the main cooling fan.

Last edited by 86Blazer4x4; 05-13-2009 at 12:19 PM.
Old 05-13-2009, 12:22 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Airflow into the engine is not dependent on the orientation of the filter.

To maximize the benefits of having the filtration system on there that it sounds like you do, you really need to isolate the filter from the engine bay heat.

Old 05-13-2009, 12:24 PM

i guess i'm just confused as to what sensor it is. it does have a MAF, but ther'es also a sensor that "pushes" into the coupling duct. that's the one i'm asking about. i appreciate any advice.

Old 05-13-2009, 12:32 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

You have a 1994 Blazer with the CPI 4.3L v6. This is a speed density system which uses only a MAP sensor for determining engine load. There is no MAF sensor on this engine.

The sensor you speak of is the IAT (intake air temperature) sensor. This sensor needs to be in the stream of air entering the engine.

Throughout this post, people have been trying to warn you of the ill effects of having your filter where you propose to put it. You will be gaining nothing by putting your filter directly onto the throttle body. Quite the contrary as it will actually end up costing you power over even the stock air box. Hot air is worse than the "restrictions" that a stock intake setup has. I use the term restrictions loosely here as most intake setups actually do work quite well with a good, high flow filter.

Old 05-13-2009, 12:44 PM

alright, so i suppose i should find a way to channel the air up to the filter while using the stock intake tube or something like it. thanks for the help.

Old 05-13-2009, 01:48 PM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

taypac here are links to two common "fixes". might be along the lines of what you are looking for.
https://blazerforum.com/forum/showth...ht=heat+shield
that is a long-running how-to on building a heat shield. that will seperate your intake from the evil hot air that robs engine power. NOTE: you can buy one of these, built to drop into your ride OR steal one... but short of stealing one, that link will lead to a good cheap way to knock this out (I assume. I haven't gotten this far in my projects)

Also another free-er, much discussed option is swissing your box. see https://blazerforum.com/forum/showth...ighlight=swiss
or
https://blazerforum.com/forum/showth...ighlight=swiss

or go a little nuts and search things like "airbox" "swiss" "swissing" "cutting hole in my intake" " air filters are for chumps" and such. There is one metric ****-ton of info here. I use none of it, just point others to it

Last edited by ABN31B; 05-13-2009 at 01:52 PM. Reason: i hat spel ling
Old 05-13-2009, 02:48 PM
Administrator

Another option which is gaining popularity is to take a rubber-maid office size trash can and cut it to fit the profile of the hood and the angle to the core support. Then along these areas, get some weather stripping to seal it up. Use that for your filter box. It is much easier to cut!

Old 05-13-2009, 05:13 PM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

hmm... swartlkk, do you have a link to a write up on that? Or can you point me in the direction of how you found it?

Old 05-13-2009, 05:50 PM
Administrator

I thought it was in another thread here, but nothing came up with a search for "rubbermaid"...

Quick Reply: intake