1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

just need some opinions

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2011, 06:58 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about
Default just need some opinions

I decided to change the starter on my truck since it started to stick

I use to have to bang it with a hammer for it to start
any ways for a year 1/2 i had a random click also

I thought it was the solenoid on the starter so i waited for the starter to start sticking witch it did

any ways i still got the click after replacing the starter today
the battery was replaced this year

I was thinking that the cables are bad . Is that possible ? the click is random sometimes it starts on 1st shot

thanks for reading

Old 12-04-2011, 10:01 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

I have a buddy who thought hia starter was going out would bang it sometimes. Finally replaced it. Still had the problem, turned out the cable from battery went bad as well as the harness going from starter back out. Wound up having to replace the cable and then redid ends on harness. Only reason we figured it out was we tried jumping it and no spark. Circuit was broken.

Old 12-04-2011, 10:06 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

yea i went to advance and the truck started fine i went to get gas and it started fine

I went home i tryed to start it again click click then after the 3rd try it started

I had to replace the starter any ways since it was starting to stick
I bought a pos and neg cable

thanks warthog at least i know im going in the right direction

Old 12-04-2011, 10:19 PM
Chevy33 is on a distinguished road
Default I just live with it.

My 95 Jimmy does that same click thing. When it happens if I have time, I get out and run around it twice tapping the hood as I go round. If I don't I just rub the dash until it feels like starting. This has always worked for me.
At times my fuel pump relay will not work. If I put a new one in and turn the key it will work. Then before I start it, I put the old relay back in and turn the key and it will work again. I must always keep a spare fuel pump relay in the glove box. Needless to say I don't loan my Jimmy out much.

Old 12-06-2011, 08:39 PM
BF Guru

Originally Posted by warthogdriver
I have a buddy who thought hia starter was going out would bang it sometimes. Finally replaced it. Still had the problem, turned out the cable from battery went bad as well as the harness going from starter back out. Wound up having to replace the cable and then redid ends on harness. Only reason we figured it out was we tried jumping it and no spark. Circuit was broken.

witch wire theres 3 on the pos one going to the starter one for the alternator and the other goes under the rad i dont know whats that for

I changed the pos cable today and the truck started great till i went somewhere and it clicked when i tryed to start it when i was going home

tomorrow ill be replacing the neg

Old 12-06-2011, 08:56 PM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

Id do the big 3 while your in there...or at least change out the wire from the alternator to the battery.

Old 12-06-2011, 08:58 PM
BF Guru

yea i can splice a new one in at any time

I just wanna fix this dam random click its annoying

Old 12-06-2011, 09:01 PM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

Mine has yet to do the random turn key nothing happens thing. I hope it was just a bug that fixed its self.

Its got to the point now that anything thats wrong with the blazer can just sit there. As long as it cranks and runs i dont care. Im tired of throwing parts on it lol.

Old 12-06-2011, 09:03 PM
BF Guru

yea id hate to do that tho

im still open to suggestions guys

I just hope that ground fixes it

Old 12-09-2011, 07:43 PM
BF Guru

hey guys i didnt swap out the neg cable yet but

I did some more research and found out this truck has a starter switch

this is what it looks like
ACDELCO D1404B Seat/Seat Accessory | eBay

is this for the starter ? I never heard of one and turns out its located in the steering column

Quick Reply: just need some opinions