1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Left front brake

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 10:52 AM
oglarrydean is on a distinguished road
Default Left front brake

I have a.1991 Blazer with a lot of the same problems as some of the other threads (no gauges, random speedo, ABS light on all the time as well as Brake warning light). But I have an additional issue my left side front (driver.side) brake will not realese after stopping at a.lite. could any one help me on this little problem . Thanks for being there oglarry

Old 06-06-2013, 10:56 AM
BF Veteran
El_Beautor will become famous soon enoughEl_Beautor will become famous soon enough

I think you need a new caliper, or at the very least you need to pull off the caliper, and clean and grease the slider pins. They can get dried out, which causes the caliper to bind and not release.

The best solution is to replace the whole caliper though.

Old 06-06-2013, 11:47 AM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Yeah, I would replace the whole caliper, if that does not work, you will have to flush the system.
The brakes on my 93 occasionally stick coming off a light (they will release quickly, but still stick) I have found that it only happens when my girlfriend drives like she is in a nascar and waits for the last minute to hit the brakes, which in turn, makes her push harder on the pedal.
Try braking earlier and lighter as well.

Old 06-06-2013, 03:30 PM
rexazz2 will become famous soon enough

more than likely a seized caliper
To make sure remove the hose to the caliper , if the wheel is still stuck you need a caliper

Lots of old school mechanics like pinching off the flex line while doing things like calipers
It can collapse the hose and cause issues that seem like a seized caliper

Old 06-06-2013, 07:34 PM
Starting Member
ol' grouch is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by oglarrydean
I have a.1991 Blazer with a lot of the same problems as some of the other threads (no gauges, random speedo, ABS light on all the time as well as Brake warning light). But I have an additional issue my left side front (driver.side) brake will not realese after stopping at a.lite. could any one help me on this little problem . Thanks for being there oglarry

Replace the flex hose. It's collapsed inside. The master cylinder can force pressure through but there isn't anything to pull it back. While you're at it, replace the other one on the front too. I'll bet these are original so they would be well over 20 years old. They may look good but are rotten inside. I've replaced many for this reason over the years. Very rarely is it a sticking caliper. Those usually won't grab at all.

Old 06-06-2013, 09:49 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by ol' grouch
Replace the flex hose. It's collapsed inside. The master cylinder can force pressure through but there isn't anything to pull it back. While you're at it, replace the other one on the front too. I'll bet these are original so they would be well over 20 years old. They may look good but are rotten inside. I've replaced many for this reason over the years. Very rarely is it a sticking caliper. Those usually won't grab at all.
maybe I should replace the one on the drivers side now that you mention that, the one on the passenger side is new, drivers side however is not, even after I replaced both front calipers. Maybe I will do that soon, and it will fix my sticky brakes.

Old 06-07-2013, 09:48 AM
AndrewO1991 is on a distinguished road

dont jump to caliper, the stupid little rubber hose going to it will collapse on itslf and not allow fluid to flow back out. It's cheap an easy, plus it happens all the time. Random speedo+ ABS light could be the vehicle speed sensor.

Old 06-07-2013, 01:13 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

easy way to check if its the hose is take the tire off, hit your brakes so that caliper locks up now pop open the bleeder that should release the pressure. if even with the bleeder open its stuck then it will be your caliper, slides, or something around that area