1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Lighting problems

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2008, 09:02 PM
bigt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Lighting problems

I have a 1989 S10 Blazer 4 x 4 that I bought from somebody. I never have drove it before so I was checking brake lights, turn signals, etc. When you apply the brakes the parking lights and marker lights come on?? Also when you put the drivers side turn signal lights on the passenger side turn signal lights will flash real dim?? Any thoughts, suggestions, and troubleshooting methods to figure out this weird problem is greatly appreciated.

*Combining consecutive posts

I forgot to mention the high beam headlight switch is broke and in the high position so I switched the wires on the headlight plug to the low beam pin on headlight. Would that make any difference?

Old 03-17-2008, 09:14 PM
bigt is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: Lighting problems

I forgot to mention the high beam headlight switch is broke and in the high position so I switched the wires on the headlight plug to the low beam pin on headlight. Would that make any difference?

Old 03-17-2008, 11:56 PM
94blueknight is on a distinguished road

hmm sounds like a wire is crossing over and they r touching somewhere or someone swiched up the wires. i would say go thru the wiring and check to make sure everything is concealed and there r no bare wires. also check to make sure the wires go to the correct areas

Old 03-18-2008, 01:06 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Bad connection, bad ground, crossed connections, etc... Take your pick... Something is feeding voltage into the park light system. Wiring problems like this could be an easy fix or they can cause some serious frustration. I wish you luck!

If it weren't so freakin' late and I didn't already put out a fire tonight, I would try to dig up a wiring schematic for you... Best I'll be able to do is tomorrow afternoon provided that no one tries to burn their house down between now and then.

Old 03-18-2008, 05:22 PM
kpiper is an unknown quantity at this point

As far as your highbeam switch goes, there is a metal bar that goes from your turn signal/highbeam lever and goes down the steering colume to a switch. Sometimes that bar will pop out of place and you wont be able to change your high and low beam. You might try to crawl under the steering colume and see ifthat rodis still conected properly. If not, reconect it then rewire your headlights properly. While you are under there, check the wiring harnesses on the sterring colume to see if the previous owner might have gotten a little bit happy at cutting and splicing wires. they may have had an aftermarket remote start on it and didn't get thigs wired back up as they should have. I hope some of this helps.
-Kpiper

P.S. Kyle, thanks for doing what you do. Alot of people dont realize how important volunteer fire fighter are. Cheers