1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

low fuel pressure

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 08:21 PM
scottyk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default low fuel pressure

'93 S-10 Blazer Tahoe LT..(4.3 CPI)

Well it turns out I have low fuel pressure..I'm getting ready to change the fuel filter but just had a few questions..

#1..Ive already released the fuel pressure so I should be good to good on dissconnecting the fuel filter?(Gas wont empty out when I remove it, right?)

#2..There are no visible kinks or leaks and I hear the fuel pump turn on...(so is there anything else that could be causing the low fuel pressure besides a clogged fuel filter?)

Thanks for all your guys help in diagnosing my no-start

Old 03-21-2007, 03:32 AM
Zygoat is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: low fuel pressure

you should be fine as far as the tank draining but some will still leak out when you disconnect it, so be ready with a rag and safty glasses. also judging by the year of your car it very well might be the fule pump. this has happend to me on every gm vehicle i have ever worked on and you are at the age where it would go out. replace the filter but if that doesnt work i put good money on the pump. thats a bit of a pain to do because on all the ones ive done you have to drop the fuel tank, which means removing the rear end. you can cut through the floor to get to the top of the tank where the fule pump and sender access is located but i WOULD NOT recomend this. ultimatly it is your car, and it can be done this way so its your decicion, i just wouldnt do it. i would take it to a shop if you dont want to go through it before i would cut through the floor.

Old 03-21-2007, 08:20 AM

OK Thanks. I have no problem cutting out the floor if itll make life alot easier. I bought the vehicle off a kid for $300 and I just want to drive it as long as I can till it dies. It ran beautifully before this problem..Engine was so quiet I could barely tell it was running at a stop light.

What do you reccommend to use to cut the floor and where exactly should I cut?
I unfortunately dont have a lift. Thanks for advice.Also quick question..Should the fuel pressure be exactly the same from just having the key turned to ON and it actually running?

Old 03-21-2007, 09:24 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Scott, you aren't alone in thinkin' about cutting the floor. I'll be researchin' the same thing in a bit (stupid fuel level sender).

Old 03-21-2007, 05:05 PM

i would use a sawsall to cut it but be really friggin carful not to cut into the tank at all!!! use the shortest metal blade you can find. i dont know the exact location on the blazers i know about it for the camaros. i imagine u can look under the truck and get a pretty good idea. everyone i have seen that has done it has turned the cut out piece into a panel that can from then on be esily removed and reinstalled. the fuel pressure should be slightly less pressure when the engin is running as opposed to the key being in the on position.

Old 03-21-2007, 06:33 PM

Cool..Im off to change the fuel filter and praying to god thick globs of rust and build up come out.
If that doesnt do the trick I guess Im off to borrowing the sawsall..I would need to know exactly how far the tank is under the floor and a diagram or something to know where to cut.Once you finally cut that hole successfully, it must be a giddy feeling with all that easy access

Old 03-21-2007, 08:20 PM

yea easy access is always a good thing

Old 03-21-2007, 08:37 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't use a sawsall... It'll stick down way too much. If you don't have an air nibbler, get one. You may have difficulties if there is a support rail in the way, but if it is just sheet metal, an air nibbler is much safer than a sawsall or grinder with a cut-off wheel.

Old 03-21-2007, 08:41 PM

if there is something in the way a cutoff wheel is prolly your best bet. take the carpet out first.

Old 03-21-2007, 10:48 PM

OK that sounds like a good plan of action for the pump.Any idea where I should cut? I should probably need a 20"X 20" square, right?

Quick question on the fuel filter..The filter I took off was stock and real hard to remove.The fuel inside the filter looked crisp and clean..So does this mean the fuel filter probably wasnt clogged?The only reason I asked is cuz I put the new one on,tightened the bolts, and when I hit the key fuel was spilling out from the threads.....tomorrow project

Quick Reply: low fuel pressure