1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

much thread searching still cant figure HELP

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2010, 06:52 PM
Beginning Member
shawncullen is on a distinguished road
Angry much thread searching still cant figure HELP

okay so i've searched day after day to resolve my issue still can't figure it out I have a 1994 gmc jimmy 4door 4wd, the problem is my 4wd is not working sometimes ill push the button hi or low and it will flash a few times then go out with no engage ment and i always hear the relay click in the glove box area, then other times i push it and i get no light flashing just a click of the relay in the glove box. after i read the very excellent post called no worky 4wd i checked all my vac lines and the actuator under the batt tray and it held vac like the post said it should, so i guess im needing a lil help cuz my 4wd worked great about three days ago now it doesn't what should i do also i found that the thing nder the batt had a disconnected line to it i hooked it back up but i still get the same results another deteail is i have the two button seloctor on the dash options 4lo and 4hi

thanks for reading ANY advice is greatly appreciated as im stumped

Old 10-17-2010, 09:53 PM
Beginning Member
Cool

dang i know someone has had this problem before i need help PLEASE

Old 10-17-2010, 11:08 PM
97cherryblazer has a spectacular aura about97cherryblazer has a spectacular aura about

i had the same problem but it was my vac line. the vac line that wasnt pluged in on my truck was the one that plugs into the accumulator attached to the bottom of the hood on the drivers side by the fire wall. but i have a 97 blazer so i have no idea if it would be in the same spot. but when i pushed my 4wd button the light would go on, and when i put it in 4lo the low gear would engage but the front tires wouldent lock in. so the other thing you could check if you havent already would be the fuses.

Old 10-17-2010, 11:30 PM
Beginning Member
Bob'sblazer is on a distinguished road

check your TCCM motor, and encoder. It probably got stuck or wet! I understand... seems the admins talk more than people do...

Old 10-18-2010, 06:52 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Probably missed this one:
NV233 transfer case / encoding motor switch

Next time, wait for responses rather than violate the rules of the forum.

Old 10-18-2010, 12:04 PM
Beginning Member
Bob'sblazer is on a distinguished road

hehe yes but the specific name probably threw him off,

Old 10-18-2010, 12:22 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I would encourage everyone to check the Tech Article section as an initial browse/search on any subject. While not everything is covered there, many of the common problems are.

And besides, "encoder motor" is a common term in A LOT of 4wd related threads...

Old 10-18-2010, 07:47 PM
Beginning Member
Default opppsss

i did miss that post and honestly i didn't read all the way threw the rules so sorry for the double post now that i know it wont happen again

i did however read a post that was saying you could modify this system with a pull n lock hand cable to lock in 4wd rather the n use the actuator

will that work with out damaging my truck also, since im extremely tight on money could i just pull the cable and lock some vise grips to keep it out or would that be a bad idea????

Old 10-18-2010, 09:51 PM
Administrator

The posi-lock setup only deals with the front axle, not the transfer case. Some people have taken the encoder motor off and welded a wrench to the sector shaft, but that requires you to cut a rather long hole in the floor for the "shifter".

Old 10-19-2010, 05:03 PM
Beginning Member
Default will this work

if i pull the cable the actuator from under the hood and lock vise grips will i be in four wheel drive???????

Quick Reply: much thread searching still cant figure HELP