1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Need help with 88s10 blazer....4.3

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 12:26 PM
Beginning Member
crashhole is on a distinguished road

Anyone?

Old 01-31-2010, 12:59 PM
94Blazer4x4ny is on a distinguished road

By the sounds of it you definately have a vortec pump , to much pressure . I to have had this same problem but reversed .

Old 01-31-2010, 01:19 PM
Beginning Member

if it was a vortec style pump, wouldnt the PSI be in the 50's with key on/engine off?

Old 01-31-2010, 01:35 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crashhole
Anyone?
Please have some patience and wait for responses. You should wait at least 24 hours for a response before bumping your post.
if it was a vortec style pump, wouldnt the PSI be in the 50's with key on/engine off?
If you have more than 11-15psi, you have something wrong with the fuel system. A TBI pump should not produce anywhere near 50psi.

Old 01-31-2010, 01:41 PM
Beginning Member

Sorry swart, I am just so anxious to get this thing going since I have no means of transportation right now.

I was just curious on the 35psi with key on because when I mentioned it to someone else they said that was fine. In my theory, if the pump is designed to push 15psi, there is no way possible it could build up to 50psi on crank correct?

Old 01-31-2010, 02:07 PM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough

Wrong fuel pump... My vortec "W" engine runs with 55-60psi...

Your vortec TBI engine runs with 15... If you are getting more than that much fuel pressure, then you need a new pump... the proper pump

Go buy yourself a proper fuel pump and make sure its for the TBI not CPI engine. You could even get an inline fuel pressure regulator on which you can set your fuel pressure, lots of hot rodders use these. Whichever is cheaper. Set it to 15psi, and see if your trucks going to run better.

Last edited by ohsofly; 01-31-2010 at 02:09 PM.
Old 01-31-2010, 02:15 PM

I was just curious on the 35psi with key on because when I mentioned it to someone else they said that was fine. In my theory, if the pump is designed to push 15psi, there is no way possible it could build up to 50psi on crank correct?
Its electronic, doesnt matter if its cranking or not it will make the same pressure. Its inside the gas tank. You want to pull that gastank down and remove the pump unit, I hope you have low fuel in the tank for this cause its going to be heavy if its full.

Old 01-31-2010, 02:41 PM
Beginning Member

Thanks ohsofly. The tank is nearly empty so thats a plus or me! I am going to drop the tank here shortly and go pick up a new pump.

Is there a way to spot the difference between the vortec pump vs the TBI pump?

Old 01-31-2010, 02:52 PM

By part numbers... Make sure the guy triple checks his computer for the right one. they look the same. Could be that the guy you bought the truck from changed the pump witht he wrong one, and it never would run right so he gave up... You may want to drop the tank FIRST in case you need a tank strap or bolts... They are going to be very rusty being that old and may break. Then you can get a new strap while you are at the parts store.

Old 01-31-2010, 03:02 PM
Beginning Member

Cool. That was one thing I did notice was that all of the bolts on the straps are fairly clean. No rust and they arent even really dirty. I have changed a few pumps back in the day and a couple were a pita to get the bolts off because of the rust. I will post my results later. Thanks again for the help.

Quick Reply: Need help with 88s10 blazer....4.3