1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Need help with 88s10 blazer....4.3

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 04:46 PM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough

No problem, I dont mind helping out at all. I use the forums to get help when I need it too, so Im glad to give a little back. Vehicle specific forums are the best place to get the help you need, and alot of the users check in everyday for a few minutes just to see whos asking what. Let us know how its all working out for you! I got mine going today with a junkyard spider injector, but it still stalls on hard stops...? Not a big deal, it should be good enough to pass my emissions inspection now though.

Old 01-31-2010, 04:48 PM
Beginning Member
crashhole is on a distinguished road

Let me ask another question. If the return line was blocked or pinched somehow, would this cause the high pressure when key is on/engine off?

Also, I just checked the pressure again to show a buddy and when you turn the key on, it jumps up to 55-60psi and then drops to about 40psi.

Old 01-31-2010, 04:54 PM

Thats the same specs my vortec CPI has, 55 then drops off to 40, and when you start it jumps back up and stays at about 58... You must have Email to your phone cause man are you fast on the replys...

Old 01-31-2010, 05:25 PM
mr.vls will become famous soon enough

I installed a fuel pressure inlet pressure gage and an adjustable fuel pressure regulator. I purchased the adapter, gage, adjustable fuel pressure regulator and injector spacer from CFM Technology. You could always break the return line and check for flow and pressure with the key on. I am pretty sure you have the wrong pump. I have my regulator set at 11 PSI and it runs great. This is an 89 S15 Jimmy 4.3 TBI Vin Z Engine.

Old 01-31-2010, 09:04 PM
Beginning Member

Got the old pump out. I have searched for the numbers but no luck yet.

It is a Bosch 0580 453 473

Maybe someone with cross-reference access could help me out. Thanks.

Old 01-31-2010, 09:20 PM

Well I like to get parts from www.rockauto.com they seem to be the cheapest and have a wicked online cataloug to look through.

Looks like for Bosch in my 93 I need a 69225 fuel pump, and your 88 takes a 69238... I cant seem to find anything on that number you posted...
EDIT - check out www.fuelpumps.com I cant find the numbers you posted in there though...

Take a peek at that website, Ive bought from there before and shipping is usually 4 or 5 business days on FedEx... They are always cheaper than anywhere else i can buy from. Eg: 2000 Dodge Durnago front hub berrings were 129 each from them, and 600 each from NAPA... Well worth the wait I say.

Found this for you too:
OE spec Walbro electric fuel pump and installation kit fits directly into any 1988-1994 Chevrolet S10 Blazer/Trailblazer 6 Cyl. 4.3L (Z) T.B.I.. Detailed fuel pump installation instructions included. Made in the USA.

Fuel Pump Specifications
Walbro Part Number: 5CA401
Minimum Current: 12 Volts
Operating Pressure: 12 PSI
Minimum Flow @ Outlet: 29 GPH Low Pressure
Fuel Pump Location: In-Tank

Last edited by ohsofly; 01-31-2010 at 09:29 PM.
Old 01-31-2010, 09:39 PM
Beginning Member

Thanks. I searched the Bosch website and they had every number except the last 3 numbers on the pump I have. I'm going to pick up a new pump and strainer tomorrow. I just would like to know what this pump is for or what it fits and how much psi it has.

This whole thing has really been a odd situation. I spoke with the guy I bought the blazer from and he claims he never replaced the pump in the 2 years he owned it. He also claims his wife drove it everyday until one day it ran out of gas even though it showed 1/4 tank. So he parked the blazer for about 3 months and then tried to sell it. At that time, he claims this is when he noticed how bad it was running but never ran like that while the wife was driving it.

The tags and inspection went out in Oct of 09 so it had to be driven in that time. Like I said, it's really odd and I dont get what happened.

Old 02-01-2010, 01:58 PM
Beginning Member

need some quick help please! I got the new pump and got the tank back in the blazer. On top of the tank where the rubber fuel hoses are, do they sit under the tank strap or do they go over the top of it? Because when I got it bolted back in, the fuel lines look like they are smashed under the top tank strap. This is how they were when I removed it. I just want to make sure before I place fuel back in the tank.

Old 02-01-2010, 04:33 PM

I would try both and see which one squishes them less... I dont remember if they are on top or bottom...

Old 02-01-2010, 04:57 PM
Beginning Member

Well..........It lives!! turned the key on and the gauge went to 10psi, cranked it up and it's staying between 11-12psi. I am so happy! Kinda has a funky idle, but I am going to buy another set of delcos and put the timing light on it.

The end result, I should have checked fuel pressure from the get-go when a couple people here suggested. It was a hard learned lesson, but at least it's running now.

I want to thank everyone here that helped me out, all you guys give yourself a pat on the back for me.

Ohso, thanks for your quick replies bro!

Quick Reply: Need help with 88s10 blazer....4.3