1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Need help so bad

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2008 | 11:36 AM
ATP
ATP is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Need help so bad

Firstly, thanks for reading this....

I'm 17, jobless, typical lazy teenager. I have a handed down 1994 S10 Blazer 4X4 that is nothing but trouble.

It was super nice when my brother fist brought it home, then when he got a new truck and gave it to me, I realized he ruined it in so many ways :[

Anyway, heres the list of issues that I'm having. I'm going by knowldge gained from the internet, so forgive me if I dont know what im talking about. In order of the worst to not as bad:

Battery drain
-Drains out completely over about 3-4 days
-Ruins the battery usually
-New Alternator

Power brakes gone
-Ive narrowed it down to the brake booster, vacuum air hisses out as brake pedals pushed
-Master cylinder is good, and the check valve.

Electronic 4WD Not working
- Lights on the switch dont light up
- No clicking noises like there should be
- TCCM fuse is good
-Deff NOT engaging
-Worked before last Winter, stopped working after sitting through the winter

Noteable things that might affect all that:
Rear window is gone (broke it), maybe that is why the battery is draining? no lights stay on though...
Instrument panel lights wont work, keeps blowing fuses
Under dash lights dont work either.
There is NO audio in it, so that cant be it.

Specs of the truck:
1994 Chevrolet S10 Blazer 4X4
Tahoe Package
2 Door
4.3 V6 CPI Automatic

THANKS

Old 01-07-2008 | 12:38 PM
94blueknight is on a distinguished road
Default RE: Need help so bad

with the 4wd try checking the vaccum hoses and the vaccum actuator (located under batter tray). search on here for 4wd problems and u'll find quite a bit its common for the 4wd to go out on our trucks.

as for the power brakes i would say check the lines since u hear a hissing it sounds like there would be a leak in the lines somewhere prolly vaccum line.

for the battery i would say the altenator is bad even tho u say its new cuz the battery cant support the entire sysem for that long on the truck so obviously the altenator isnt recharging it.

hope this helps u out somewhat. and good luck w/ fixin it up

Old 01-07-2008 | 01:44 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

A faulty vacuum actuator would not cause the lights to not light up on the dash though... I would first check the electrical connection at the back of the switch in the dash. We have seen a few of these switches either just have a loose electrical connection or be burnt out internally, causing the same problem you are experiencing. Another thing to look at with the 4wd system is the electrical connection at the TCCM (transfer case control module) located behind the passenger side kick panel (in front of the door, under the dash). Sometimes the electrical connection can get moisture inside, corroding the contacts.

Anyway, on the battery drain, I would start by pulling fuses and testing the open connection with a test light. Do them one at a time, looking for one that will light the test light. When power is flowing through a circuit, a test light will illuminate. If everything on that circuit is off, it should not light. You should be able to narrow it down to a particular circuit and we can help from there, but wiring problems are never fun to mess with.

Old 01-07-2008 | 04:14 PM
ATP

Thanks for the help. Can you explain how to do a test light? I get what I'm supposed to do with it, I just need the test light first ha. Im going to try getting to the TCCM again too, I tried a while ago but the cluster of modules wouldn't pull down (they were caught on something up in the dash). As for the dash light, do you think that would drain the battery, because I'm not worried about that problem if it isn't hurting anything else.

The brakes I've basically figured out, the line is fine to the booster, the booster just gave out.

Old 01-07-2008 | 09:49 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Oh geez...

Old 01-08-2008 | 01:51 AM
ATP

^^Thanks

I found where to buy the test light for a few dollars, Im going to grab a new battery and find the drain, if I fail, we have a mechanic in the family who can pinpoint it. Ill also check the 4WD switch and try and check the TCCM connections. Ill post pictures if I need further assistance.

Old 01-12-2008 | 07:31 PM
94blazer4.3ho is an unknown quantity at this point

Ididn't catch if you had the trailer package. If you do, you could check if the plug wires have been shorted. This would cause the dash lightsto not work properly. It could be draining your battery also, although the fuse(trailer/aux)should have blown.I belive that is what fuse it is. good luck.

Old 01-13-2008 | 04:04 AM
ATP

It does not have the trailer package as far as I know...

Im waiting on some more cash so I can get a multimeter to find the drain, battery, and booster. Cant wait to get workin on it, hopefully before it gets cold again here, weve had a warm 2 weeks in N. IL.

Old 01-13-2008 | 06:43 PM
tim_dean is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
you dont need a multimeter to find a battery drain.. all you need is a light bulb (1156 for instance), or a test light, and hook the light bulb in series with one of the battery terminals and the battery cable... solder a wire to the terminal on the 1156, and solder another wire to the ground of the bulb.. once hooked in series with the battery and your vehicle, the bulb will light up when juice is being drawn from the battery (ie. battery drain)... if it does light up, go to your fuse panel and start pulling out fuses one by one, until the bulb no longer lights up.... once you find the one that stops the bulb brightness, you just found which circuit is causing the drain.

Old 01-13-2008 | 06:54 PM
Administrator

You can do the same thing at the fuse box itself. Just put the wires to the separate sides of each fuse location.

Quick Reply: Need help so bad