1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Need radio replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 09:03 AM
Beginning Member
Major Tom is on a distinguished road
Default Need radio replacement

Hello, my 1994 S-10 Blazer Tahoe needs a new radio. I would like a CD player plus AM/FM. Cost needs to be minimal. What have you done or recommend for a replacement? Does not need to be OM radio.
Plus, my remote oil filter lines are leaking. Is this a big job or fairly easy to replace the hoses?
I have some mechanical aptitude having replaced both front fenders and done some minor body work.
Thanks to all who reply. You can email me direct at: tjake565@mchsi.com

Old 01-11-2012, 03:33 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

For a CD player, Look for pioneer, you can get a pretty good one for a reasonable price. Then go to ebay and look for "1994 s10 blazer dash kit" which will have a mount that will go in the stock radio location without any modification, the kit should also come with a wiring harness that you just hook to your old radio harness and to the new cd player.
As for the remote oil filter lines, I have heard they are kind of a PITA to replace. I need to do mine as well, its not leaking terribly from them at the moment so I am putting it off until its warmer outside.

Old 01-11-2012, 09:26 PM
Esty is on a distinguished road

I do most of my shoping here if I cant finde cheep local
it I were you I would also look in to hd raido

Car Stereo | Car CD Players | Head Units | In Dash Receivers

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/viewc...2&f_701_2585=1

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/viewc...5&f_701_2585=1

Last edited by Esty; 01-11-2012 at 09:41 PM.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:30 PM
vernouknow is on a distinguished road

hey there! I agree about pioneer. I was running completely stock on my 87 k5 system until 2005, then got all pioneers, including subwoofer. Note though if you do a subwoofer and you like to offroad, find somewhere to attach it to because it flys when you hit a bump. Pioneer has some of the best sound quality for the best price. Shop around a bit and check craigslist. With the economy tanked a lot of aftermarket audio guys are out of work and will install and get you gear for next to nothing.

Old 01-12-2012, 04:09 AM
workshop4ever is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Major Tom
Hello, my 1994 S-10 Blazer Tahoe needs a new radio. I would like a CD player plus AM/FM. Cost needs to be minimal. What have you done or recommend for a replacement? Does not need to be OM radio.
Plus, my remote oil filter lines are leaking. Is this a big job or fairly easy to replace the hoses?
I have some mechanical aptitude having replaced both front fenders and done some minor body work.
Thanks to all who reply. You can email me direct at: tjake565@mchsi.com
Good luck finding the correct remote oil filter lines. When I did mine we ordered from LMCtruck and although they fit into the remote oil filter, they are 100% in the way of the factory intake. I ended up replacing the factory intake with my own setup made from flexible 3" hose and a k/n cone filter which allowed me to make my own bracket that would force the flexible hose to avoid the newly installed oil lines. Also needed some adapters for the rest of the intake lines to hook up to my new fake intake, but it works and allowed me to stop my leak at the oil lines. Just keep it in mine when you go to replace your lines.

Old 01-13-2012, 07:47 AM
Beginning Member
Major Tom is on a distinguished road
Default Remote Oil filter hoses

I found the hoses on www.dragtimes.com/parts for $37. When I clicked to buy them, I was redirected to Ebay. I bought them there for $47 including shipping. When the weather warms up, I will install them. I know it's a pain to install.