1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

New Blazer, a few issues

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2010, 12:07 AM
Beginning Member
pontiacg5 is on a distinguished road
Default New Blazer, a few issues

Hello Everyone!

I just picked up an 2.8 88 Blazer and it has a few problems, but nothing too serious (hopefully)

First, It has an exhaust leak. A rather loud one. I think it's coming from the EGR system, though I've not really looked too closely at it yet. I know its coming from the driver's side though. Is this a fairly common issue? I'd like to just delete the whole system, is that at all possible? I work at a machine shop so I can handle making any plates to block things off if I needed to.

Next the power steering is leaking pretty bad, is that a common problem too? Once again I didn't look too closely so it could be something easy like a hose but any background info would be greatly appreciated.

I plan on swapping a LT1 and 6 speed from a Camaro/firebird in the spring, but I need the thing running as smoothly as possible for the winter. I'd really rather not get my G5 all torn up in the crappy weather! A swap should be pretty easy too, since I work at a machine shop and all.

Thanks for the help!

Old 10-10-2010, 12:30 PM
Thor_449 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well I would advise agianst just blocking the egr system because the computer is ment to run with one. Meaning you'll wigg out the 02 sensors and posibly down the road burn out a cat. I don't see how the EGR is leaking it's just a module bolted onto the engine. I suppose you couldv'e blown the gasket. As for the power sterring mine leaks like a siv too and I deal with it but some people realy enjoy clean things. Mine is leaking at the reivoir though I think, or at least the best I can tell.

Old 10-10-2010, 07:31 PM
Beginning Member
pontiacg5 is on a distinguished road

Well I found that it's not the EGR causing the leak, I'm missing two bolts from one manifold on one port. I'm going to go pick up some new bolts and a gasket tomorrow to fix that issure, assuming I can get the last 4 bolts out...

I did have a few SES lights pop up today, namely 15, 33, and 44. I'm thinking the leak is causing the O2 sensor to read rich when it's actually not (It smells rich, definatly not lean.)

It is running really hot, yet I don't get a light or anything which makes me think the ECT is bad or unhooked. Where exactly is the ECT sensor on these Blazers?

I'm not sure why the MAP sensor is reading wrong, I'm really hoping it's not bad though. That thing is expensive! I'll be picking up a multimeter tomorrow and checking all these varous sensors. Is there a How-to guide for checking all of these things or will I just have to poke around a lot?

Thanks for the reply Thor-449, I still need to take a closer look at the power steering pump. So far it's stayed full enough to work prety well so I might just keep topping it off till the swap.