1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

New toy = nickel & dime heaven...

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 08:34 PM
BigChevy80 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default New toy = nickel & dime heaven...

So I bought this '94 S-10 Blazer at an auction the other day. It has 151,000 miles and a 4.3L W-code motor. Not a bad old truck but it definitely has a bunch of small crap that needs attention.

Biggest problems are as follows:

1. Transmission - overdrive unit is out. Only 1st and 3rd gear work. Still driveable.

2. Transfer case - pushbutton 4x4 won't do anything. Green and yellow lights come on for a second when key is turned on, but pushing the 4x4 buttons does nothing. No lights or shifting.

3. Dome light, rear glass release button, and radio all won't work. Blown fuse? I can't find any bad ones in the fuse panel...

4. Needs new exhaust from the Y-pipe back.

5. Driver side power window doesn't work.

6. Tons of additional small nickel & dime crap...

The transmission still functions like it is, just has no O/D. I'll eventually send it to the tranny shop, but it'll be ok for now. Biggest questions I have are about the 4x4. What can I troubleshoot on this thing to find out about the non-functional 4x4 buttons?

Thanks for any help...
Tony

Old 03-02-2008, 09:03 PM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: New toy = nickel & dime heaven...

Most likely your 4WD is a vacuum issue, check out this thread.

Old 03-03-2008, 05:50 AM
BF Veteran
thegr81 is on a distinguished road

The 4x sounds like a vaccum issue, thats usually what the problem is!! The other stuff I would check wiring especially that old with that many miles!!

Old 03-03-2008, 09:36 PM
HeyYou is an unknown quantity at this point

As for the radio, etc. not working, check the CTSY fuse. (may be CRTSY....) also, before you replace it, once you discover that it is indeed blown, make sure there is nothing in the cigarette lighter that is grounding out, otherwise, it will just pop again.

Old 03-03-2008, 11:04 PM
BigChevy80 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the link TripleBlack. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the vaccum actuator is controlled by the switch on top of the transfer case, right? If that's the case then I would think that my problem is elsewhere in the 4x4 system. Pushing the 4x4 buttons has no effect. I can't hear any clicking from the transfer case and niether of the lights on the switch light up. This wouldn't have anything to do with vaccum if I'm understanding this right...

You'll have to forgive me, I'm used to fullsize trucks with manual lockouts and manual shifters. All this automatic shift/vaccum crap is still new to me...

-Tony

ORIGINAL: TripleBlackBlazer

Most likely your 4WD is a vacuum issue, check out this thread.