1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

Newbie needing lots of help

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2012, 07:20 PM
RichB is on a distinguished road
Default Newbie needing lots of help

Hello everyone,
As stated I am brand new to the forum and to trying to fix car problems myself (i'm painfully ignorant to this platform and would love to change that). I have a 93 S10 blazer 2d with the w in the vin.

Now my problem is that the truck will bog down as soon as it hits 2k rpms and sometimes will stall out. Now i thought this was a problem with the timing (i've also heard on the forum that it could be a fuel system problem). So this afternoon I was going to give it a tune up and while replacing the distributor cap and rotor move the distributor a tooth or two too see if that clears up my problem and then fine tune with a timing light.

The problems I have run into is that I can't find the timing marks on the car, any adjustments i made the problem worse. I couldn't remove the rotor(is there a trick to it?). I realise my lack of knowledge is also not helping. So any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

On the engine the #1 cylinder is the driver side closest to the fan correct? If so is 6 across from it or is 4?

The block says the firing order is 165432 I believe so does the rotor spin clockwise?

How can I get the engine TDC for the #1 cylinder so i can make sure that my wires are in the correct order (please if you can explain as if I have the mechanical knowledge of a child I’m a better visual learner).

Here is what I am looking at:

Any help at all would be great I’m trying to get this car on the road so I can use it to get myself to work. Thanks for any help and sorry for my almost non existent knowledge of how a distributor works as well as this engine.

Attached Thumbnails Newbie needing lots of help-imag0500.jpg  
Old 05-30-2012, 10:29 AM
AndrewO1991 is on a distinguished road

If it bogs at 2k rpm and wont go higher your catalytic converter may be clogged. Have a buddy rev it and (be careful) feel the exhaust gas, if it is SUPER hot then the cat is clogged. I am assuming the truck wont exceed 2k rpms at all.

Old 05-31-2012, 08:52 PM
RichB is on a distinguished road

I'll try that tomorrow and yes it won't exceed 2k rpm. Thanks for the idea.

Old 06-02-2012, 02:27 AM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough

Passenger front to back - 2 - 4 - 6
Drivers side front to back 1 - 3 - 5

Distributor turns clockwise, number 1 is the 5oclock position when you are staning at the front of the truck.

Dont muck with the timing, the advance is handled by the computer. Timing wont be the issue. You cant adjust timing anyway on this engine.

Rotor just pops straight up, you may have to break it to get it off, there will be alot of corrosion gluing it on the shaft. Rotors are cheap, just break it off.

If you are not getting a fiagnostic trouble code, then the problem is fuel related. Get your hands on a fuel injection pressure tester.

When the cat is clogged, the exhaust smells rotten eggy.

Dont be surprised at all if your spider injector is junk... Its a 93 amd due for a refurbished unit. If its not leaking, it will be soon. May want to just put a new one in. Www.injectorwarehouse.com

Typically if you have a leaking injector unit, your oil will be overful and stink like gas.

Do a forum search for CPI SPIDER and how to tell if yours is shot or not. Its a fairly easy job and makes a world of difference

Last edited by ohsofly; 06-02-2012 at 02:39 AM.