1st Generation S-series (1983-1994) Tech Discuss 1st generation S-series (1983-1994) general tech topics here.

no foward gears

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2007, 08:26 PM
76BadSign442 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default no foward gears

Help!!!!!!

I have an 85 Blazer 4x4, 2.8 and a 700R4 transmission. Recently, it was being driven at about 50 mph in overdrive when it suddenly shifted down to third gear. The tranny continued to pull in 3rd until a complete stop was made. When attemptin to accelerate after the stop, the vehivle would not pull in any foward gear. Reverse has no problems and there are no linkage problems. I'm being told by the shop that has previously worked on the tranny, (it's still under warranty) that the tranny checks out and the problem is an internal leak in the transfer case, causing a pressure loss to the clutch packs. This makes no sense to me because I'm not aware of any seals located in the transfer case. The proposal is to swap the transfer case to solve the problem. Should I proceed with this repair or is this guy trying to cover himself for shoddy work that wad done the first time around. I can't get a clear answer as to what was done the first time it was repaired. $600 seems a bit much to pay for the shiny silver spray paint.

Old 02-01-2007, 10:53 PM
fnirish is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: no foward gears

I don't know much about trannys but I have changed th T-case in my K5 and as I recall I don't think there was any pressure in there. In fact I think it is chain driven. I think I would get a second opinion.

Old 02-02-2007, 04:14 AM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about

The transmission and the transfer case each have their own fluid and there is no pump pressure in the transfer case.
The transmission has it's own pump and pumps the tranny fluid through the transmission only.
I do not see how the transfer case has anything to do with the problem.

If you decide to let this guy do any more work, you might want to put some identifying marks on your transfer case and the tranny case.
It would be even better if you could take the time to watch every minute that the truck is in his shop.
Possible problems causing no forward gears.....

Forward Sprag Clutch Assembly
[align=left]

•
Damaged sprag [/align][align=left]

•
Worn or pitted inner race [/align]

Input and Reaction Carrier

Damaged or worn gears

Old 02-02-2007, 04:48 AM
20Blazer00 is an unknown quantity at this point

I would call a couple more tranny shops and explain the situation. There is a seal in the transfer case between the tranny. And if fluid is leaking there then he did not check his parts before putting them back together or he damaged the seal and is trying to get out of a free repair...but even if there was a leak there I have not heard of anyone with that leak complaining of no forward gears only, they still have had forward gears until fluid levels dropped below operating levels...

Old 02-03-2007, 02:38 AM

Hi, Iwanted to extend a personal thanks for the info. I did find that the seal between the tranny and the T case had a couple of hair line cracks in it but I don,t think it is enough to cause a loss of of line pressure as the shop is claiming. I took the T-case and had it inspected, cleaned and new front and reae seals installed. I'll drop it back at the shop tomorrow and see what excuse they offer up then. Needless to say, this is the last time these guys will do any business with me. Thanks again for the help and advice

You guys rock, you're all invited to my house for dinner on Super Bowl Sunday. I picked up my transfer case form the shop and put in new seals front and rear, cleaned, drained, and marked the case. Tomorrow I deliver it back to the shop for te next round of fighting. I did som reading in a Mitchell manual' and it confirms all the info that you guys provided. I'm anxious to hear what this guy will try next since I wouldn't let him sell me a used T-case that he just happened to have lying around. By the way, total cost of seals and inspection was $18.00. Too bad those guys at Southern Gear don't install. Thanks again everybody.

Old 02-04-2007, 08:15 PM

Now I have the same problem but anew explaination. After re-sealing the transfer case and returning it to the shop, the guy calls me to inform me that the problem is unchanged. The reason this time is I failed to provide him with a gasket for the mating surface betweet the tranny and the transfer case. Needles to say, this caused a minor oil leak in this area. He became quite upset when I explained that I didn't such a minor leak would cause enough pressure loss to cause the clutch packs not to engage, and why wwould any competent mechanic not use a bead of gasket sealer in the absence of a gasket.I even offered to drop the case myself and seal the area myself, and was declined due to insurance concerns. The entire time this guy is complaining about the amount of work he's done for free. My next proposal will be to have him drop the tranny, I'll take it to a guy that I trust and have it bench built at my expense and have the shop re-install it, and call it a day. If he won't agree to that, then I guess there's always small claims court. Look for me on The Peoples Court.

Old 02-04-2007, 08:49 PM
BF Veteran
Chevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura aboutChevy Lover has a spectacular aura about

The guy can complain about working for free or he could do the job once correctly and turn a profit. Sounds to me like he's just complaining about his own incompetence.

Old 02-04-2007, 08:56 PM
20Blazer00 is an unknown quantity at this point

I would take it somewhere else this guy is a flake and cheap. Problem is that he still has not fixed the problem...I would get the BBB involved and start looking for a better fix for your problem...

Did he provide a reciept and does the reciept list the parts he replaced...and can you get back the old parts...in some states shops have to hold onto the parts to give back to the customer...seeif he has them and ask for the old parts back...